Non-Live Protein foods 2

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

TheAntOfficer

Non-Live Protein foods 2

Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:58 pm

So the Pheidole didnt work out, I was given a weak colony with a dying queen. I have a Camponotus species called Camponotus Bellus.
What non live protein foods will camponotus eat? Will they eat Earwigs? Will they eat Locusts and Grasshoppers? Im also getting a Camponotus Irritans colony from a giveaway so I need non live protein for my ants! My family wont accept roaches because they think they will fly :lol: and No one sells crickets here. I believe the nearest cricket store 97 miles away and is overseas (because I live in the Philippines which is full of islands) Thanks for the info and Happy Ant Keeping! :lol: :D :!: :?:
Sad beginner with a dead queen and a dying pheidole colony :cry:
Maybe an upcoming Yellow Crazy ant colony owner!

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Non-Live Protein foods 2

Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:13 pm

TheAntOfficer wrote:
So the Pheidole didnt work out, I was given a weak colony with a dying queen. I have a Camponotus species called Camponotus Bellus.
What non live protein foods will camponotus eat? Will they eat Earwigs? Will they eat Locusts and Grasshoppers? Im also getting a Camponotus Irritans colony from a giveaway so I need non live protein for my ants! My family wont accept roaches because they think they will fly :lol: and No one sells crickets here. I believe the nearest cricket store 97 miles away and is overseas (because I live in the Philippines which is full of islands) Thanks for the info and Happy Ant Keeping! :lol: :D :!: :?:
A source of protein my ants love is protein jelly. It can be purchased from ant keeping depot, and my Camponotus Floridanus colony will eat TONS of it. They sit there and eat until the cant, come back in 5 minutes and have backup :)

If this isn’t an option, termites always are, and can be found in damp piles of wood
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SavANT

Re: Non-Live Protein foods 2

Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:41 am

TheAntOfficer wrote:
Well, make sure the earwig is fully dead( I mean real dead) before giving to ants. Also try ripping it as they have a semi- hard exoskeleton. As for me, I just started a termite colony which will be a good feeder insects since they are a good source of protein for ants. Caught a couple which is in a setup I made with about 10 eggs for now
Keeper of;
Camponotus pennsylvanicus (4)
Camponotus consobrinus(1)