Maggots on mealworm container

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

cosmo1190

Maggots on mealworm container

Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:34 am

Hello,good day and good night for anybody reading this topic.recently i buy some mealworm and place them in a container.it's a plastic container with some dried substrate.but somehow flies and maggots always got trapped inside it...and i hate it very much.

no matter how moist and dry it is there is always maggots and flies.....and it's a small flies so....they always can get inside my container even though i only make small holes in it.

i hope i posted it in the right place...and please help me with this :( :(
:mrgreen:

Currently Keeping

-1 Camponotus SP
-1 Meranoplus SP
-1 Tapinoma Melanocephalum
-2 Pheidole Megacephala

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Maggots on mealworm container

Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:54 am

The question of whether or not this topic is in the right section, What does your container look like? Could you send a picture?
Where do you get your mealworms from? Do you keep your mealworms inside of a fridge?
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

antnest8

Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:28 pm

cosmo1190 wrote:
Hello,good day and good night for anybody reading this topic.recently i buy some mealworm and place them in a container.it's a plastic container with some dried substrate.but somehow flies and maggots always got trapped inside it...and i hate it very much.

no matter how moist and dry it is there is always maggots and flies.....and it's a small flies so....they always can get inside my container even though i only make small holes in it.

The flies might just add more proteins, but I can agree that Flies are the worst. Depending on how small the flies are, you may just need smaller holes
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

cosmo1190

Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:09 pm

antnest8 wrote:
cosmo1190 wrote:

The flies might just add more proteins, but I can agree that Flies are the worst. Depending on how small the flies are, you may just need smaller holes
well i already got em real small,i pierced it with sewing needle...and it's still got in...uuggghh

wait,is fly a good thing?

Currently Keeping

-1 Camponotus SP
-1 Meranoplus SP
-2 Pheidole Megacephala

cosmo1190

Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:10 pm

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:54 am
The question of whether or not this topic is in the right section, What does your container look like? Could you send a picture?
Where do you get your mealworms from? Do you keep your mealworms inside of a fridge?
nah,i don't have fridge on my dorm...so i just put them in a small plastic jar with small holes on top instead...

Currently Keeping

-1 Camponotus SP
-1 Meranoplus SP
-2 Pheidole Megacephala

antnest8

Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:54 pm

cosmo1190 wrote:
antnest8 wrote:
cosmo1190 wrote:

well i already got em real small,i pierced it with sewing needle...and it's still got in...uuggghh

Ok, so ants will eat flies just like any insect, but I can't really call it a good thing. Plus flies have a general tendency to carry pesticides and parasites in them which could spread to your ants if the fly is wild caught
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

SYUTEO

Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:27 pm

Flies and gnats are usually a sign that your mealworm container smells bad, usually due to dead mealworms, high humidity or uneaten food. Remove any uneaten food and don't let the container get too moist.

cosmo1190

Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:21 pm

antnest8 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:54 pm
cosmo1190 wrote:
antnest8 wrote:

Ok, so ants will eat flies just like any insect, but I can't really call it a good thing. Plus flies have a general tendency to carry pesticides and parasites in them which could spread to your ants if the fly is wild caught
yes i agree,i got more overwhelmed by the maggots though,cause those flies laid egg's on the container...and in few days there is lots of maggots

Currently Keeping

-1 Camponotus SP
-1 Meranoplus SP
-2 Pheidole Megacephala

cosmo1190

Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:28 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Flies and gnats are usually a sign that your mealworm container smells bad, usually due to dead mealworms, high humidity or uneaten food. Remove any uneaten food and don't let the container get too moist.
what is the good substrate that i can use for mealworm?because when i buy mine...the substrate itself smelled bad...

Currently Keeping

-1 Camponotus SP
-1 Meranoplus SP
-2 Pheidole Megacephala

SYUTEO

Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:59 pm

cosmo1190 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:28 pm
SYUTEO wrote:
what is the good substrate that i can use for mealworm? because when i buy mine...the substrate itself smelled bad...
Try oatmeal.