Non-Live Protein foods

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

TheAntOfficer

Non-Live Protein foods

Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:19 pm

So basically what protein foods (THAT ARE NOT LIVE) can I feed to my 50-60 worker Pheidole Colony.
In my place, no one sells superworms, crickets, mealworms or any kind of feeder insect. (I live in the Philippines btw).
And my village is super crowded with houses, no trees, no plants, no swamps. The nearest wild life is several miles away.

So what food in my house can I feed to my Pheidole Colony with 50-60 workers? I need it bad because I dont want the decline of
workers in my colony and eventually the death of a colony. Just got them 4 days ago and im not gonna lose them this early in my antkeeping career. Please help me!!! :oops:
Sad beginner with a dead queen and a dying pheidole colony :cry:
Maybe an upcoming Yellow Crazy ant colony owner!

Antloverhuman

Re: Non-Live Protein foods

Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:35 pm

Pheidoli are a really cool species and can eat almost anything. You can give them dry fruits and nuts like almond and walnuts and give fruits with protein like banana. I have seen they even eat raw rice!
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SYUTEO

Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:42 pm

You can feed them raw or cooked meat for protein. Pheidole will eat just about anything.

TheAntOfficer

Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:16 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
You can feed them raw or cooked meat for protein. Pheidole will eat just about anything.
Can I feed them earwigs? Just found out yesterday that I have like a MILLION earwigs. Are there any hazards in feeding them earwigs?
I know im not gonna feed them live as they can harm the colony with their pincers. :?:
Sad beginner with a dead queen and a dying pheidole colony :cry:
Maybe an upcoming Yellow Crazy ant colony owner!

CombinedHalo467

Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:12 pm

It depends where you found them because if you or someoneliving with you apartments all that put out pesticides because if you feed them poiseoned food it poisons the ants. Some people choose not do do that option but it depends where you live in my opinion but listening to the advice above if readily availible is probably your safest option. I wish you luck :D
A prenolepis imparis colony with repletes and a big queen also 10 chickens and 1 annoying brother.

Ants Are Awesome

SYUTEO

Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:44 pm

TheAntOfficer wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
Can I feed them earwigs? Just found out yesterday that I have like a MILLION earwigs. Are there any hazards in feeding them earwigs?
I know im not gonna feed them live as they can harm the colony with their pincers. :?:
As long as you don't feed them live there should be no hazards except pesticides and parasites. Check if anyone has sprayed pesticides or left out insect poison before you feed them. Also boil or freeze them to kill any parasites.

AntsAntsAnts

Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:12 am

TheAntOfficer wrote:
So basically what protein foods (THAT ARE NOT LIVE) can I feed to my 50-60 worker Pheidole Colony.
In my place, no one sells superworms, crickets, mealworms or any kind of feeder insect. (I live in the Philippines btw).
And my village is super crowded with houses, no trees, no plants, no swamps. The nearest wild life is several miles away.

So what food in my house can I feed to my Pheidole Colony with 50-60 workers? I need it bad because I dont want the decline of
workers in my colony and eventually the death of a colony. Just got them 4 days ago and im not gonna lose them this early in my antkeeping career. Please help me!!! :oops:
pheidole will eat everything edible.
TheAntOfficer wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
just watch out for pesticides as those can kill the colony
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:55 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
TheAntOfficer wrote:

TheAntOfficer wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
If u catch the insects live, then keep them as “pets” for a few days you could confirm there is no pesticides. After doing that, you could freeze them to kill parasites.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsAntsAnts

Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:19 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:55 am
AntsAntsAnts wrote:
TheAntOfficer wrote:

TheAntOfficer wrote:

If u catch the insects live, then keep them as “pets” for a few days you could confirm there is no pesticides. After doing that, you could freeze them to kill parasites.
or you can breed them in captivity for a really long time..
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)