Tetramorium ant diet questions

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

ThatAntGuy10

Tetramorium ant diet questions

Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:09 pm

I'm trying to figure out what to feed my Tetramorium ants (not quite sure what species they are, but I found them in Arvada, Colorado, if that helps) and so far I'm not sure what to give them. My two queens were found mid-June, and I didn't feed them for a while until the first workers hatched. I gave them sugar-water of a ratio I cannot remember, and now I'm not sure how long they will go on without food, as it's been around a month since I fed them the one time (I'm new to this whole thing and probably should've fed them sooner). I have no protein for them, not even freeze-dried meal worms, and no recipe for sugar-water. Any suggestions?
Currently owning: two 5-month-old Tetramorium immigrans ant queens found 22/6/21

ThatAntGuy10

Re: Tetramorium ant diet questions

Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:30 pm

Update: I gave both colonies new AntsCanada equipment and 1 part sugar, three parts water sugarwater test tubes. Hopefully they will have more luck at producing workers than the old tubes. When there is enough workers I will probably buy some sort of insect feeder, probably mealworms.
Currently owning: two 5-month-old Tetramorium immigrans ant queens found 22/6/21

antnest8

Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:31 pm

ThatAntGuy10 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:30 pm
Update: I gave both colonies new AntsCanada equipment and 1 part sugar, three parts water sugarwater test tubes. Hopefully they will have more luck at producing workers than the old tubes. When there is enough workers I will probably buy some sort of insect feeder, probably mealworms.
Tetremorium are eating machines. They will eat just about anything to fuel their glorious empire. If live insects are not available they will almost certainty accept re-hydrated dried insects.

I would also try experimenting with lunchmeat and pet food
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

ThatAntGuy10

Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:56 pm

Okay, great to know. I read that they really like honey so I will try it alongside some ham, but both queens' workers died out and they're both likely going into hibernation soon. I don't know if they will die during that time or not, but I will feeding them like I said.

AntsAntsAnts

Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:10 am

ThatAntGuy10 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:56 pm
Okay, great to know. I read that they really like honey so I will try it alongside some ham, but both queens' workers died out and they're both likely going into hibernation soon. I don't know if they will die during that time or not, but I will feeding them like I said.
well most queens are adapted to such hibernation and it should be fine. also don't feed them during hibernation and just give them water. make sure to fatten the queens up before doing so!
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)