Honey Dangerous?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

PAants

Honey Dangerous?

Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:09 am

So I have a small colony of acrobat ants, a queen and 4-5 workers. I've been feeding them a small section of meal worm with a bit of honey and they seem to like it. But the last two weeks or so, I've been finding dead workers attached to the food. I know the food isn't spoiled, as I feed the same thing to my carpenter ant colonies and they have no problem. I think the workers are getting stuck in the honey and dying. I've tried cutting back the amount I give them, but I'm waiting till the next feeding time to check how that worked. Anyone have any advice on a safer way to provide sugar to such small ants? Right now, it seems like they're holding steady at 4 or 5 workers, but it's gotten to the point where I'm terrified I'm killing them whenever I go to feed them, and it's kind of giving me anxiety and depression.

SYUTEO

Re: Honey Dangerous?

Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:20 am

Just give them a smaller quantity of it. If for some reason you can't, you can give them a test tube filled with honey or sugar water blocked off with cotton.

PAants

Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:00 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:20 am
Just give them a smaller quantity of it. If for some reason you can't, you can give them a test tube filled with honey or sugar water blocked off with cotton.
I tried giving them less last time. I'll see how they look when I check in to feed them again. (They're so tiny I can't tell what I'm seeing half the time.) I'll probably try cutting back again and see how that helps. I'm worried that either all the workers will get caught up and die, leaving the queen helpless, or she herself will get stuck.

AM1C39

Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:39 am

If you can no longer feed them honey you could give them actual sugar or friuts instead.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]