Isopods as food for ants

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Quintx

Isopods as food for ants

Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:24 pm

Hi! I am starting my first ant colony and was wondering what I could give them for proteins. I have a nice farm of isopods, but read somewhere that some ants won't eat them as they are too tough to kill. Does anyone have any idea if they can be used as food if they are pre-killed? If so, would they be a good source of food?
Thanks for the help!

AM1C39

Re: Isopods as food for ants

Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:15 am

You will need a proteins source ( nuts, seeds, meat, bugs...) and a energy source ( sugar, honey, jam, sugar water...). Ants will usually accept pre-killed insects.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

NKantsalberta

Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:05 am

Quintx wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:24 pm
Hi! I am starting my first ant colony and was wondering what I could give them for proteins. I have a nice farm of isopods, but read somewhere that some ants won't eat them as they are too tough to kill. Does anyone have any idea if they can be used as food if they are pre-killed? If so, would they be a good source of food?
Thanks for the help!
In my experience, the ants have ignored any isopod in their enclosure. I am sure that would depend on your specific species however. The more aggressive, the more likely they will hunt them.

Mealworms, superwroms (pre crushed) and crickets are the most commonly used insect protein source, and all are relatively easy to breed. Flightless fruit flies are also a good option, and depending on your country (legality), Dubia or other feeder roaches. There are many good care tips online if you look around.

For Sugars, I mainly use organic apples for my ants. As well as the occasional treat of honey, organic cane sugar and maple syrup
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

AntsNewJersey

Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:27 pm

My friend has been feeding their colony isopodes, they seem to be an okay protein source. Try putting them in a container in the fridge to slow them.