Trap jaw Ant queen feeding and care.

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

AntsSoutheast

Trap jaw Ant queen feeding and care.

Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:41 am

Hi! How do I feed my trap jaw ant queen? She has not been eating since I caught her and fed her a small caterpillar :( . She also doesn't have any eggs :? . She is a queen caught in Quezon City at 12:00 Midnight. Also can I have an ID of what species of trap jaw. Correct me if i'm wrong but I think it is Odontomachus infandus. :) .
AntsSoutheast Youtube Channel
Owner of:
1. Paratrechina longicornis
2. Odontomachus infandus

SYUTEO

Re: Trap jaw Ant queen feeding and care.

Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:16 pm

AntsSoutheast wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:41 am
Hi! How do I feed my trap jaw ant queen? She has not been eating since I caught her and fed her a small caterpillar :( . She also doesn't have any eggs :? . She is a queen caught in Quezon City at 12:00 Midnight. Also can I have an ID of what species of trap jaw. Correct me if i'm wrong but I think it is Odontomachus infandus. :) .
You should feed her small pre killed cockroaches or mealworms, if the prey is too big, i suggest you to cut it into smaller pieces before feeding her, trap jaw ants rarely catch prey bigger than themselves. If she doesn't eat, she will not lay eggs and in most cases, she will die. Also, trap jaw ants need substrate, without substrate, her larvae can't spin their cocoons and will eventually die.