Going away and leaving ants.

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

RuinedDrone

Going away and leaving ants.

Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:56 am

HI,

How long will ants survive with out a food source, or more correct what should i leave ants with if i am away for a few days to a few weeks?

I am not planning eiher but just wondering for future refrence what people do.Is throwing in a bunch of feed insects, topping up water and suger water or jelly pot a ok solution for a few days away? And what is the max lenth of time you would leave an establised nest?

I am thinking here of common black ants in UK.

I know with fish i would leave them for a long weekend with out worrying about them as long they are all looking helthy and been feeding up till i go, anything more than 3 or 4 days i insure theyare going to get them fed while i am away. Can you treat ants in the same way?

antnest8

Re: Going away and leaving ants.

Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:41 am

For large colonies of several million ants, leaving them gets harder. I would say that as long as the colony is in the thousands, topping off their sugar and insects should keep them for a month even! For the millions, you can only leave for a week before mass die-offs. Also it depends on what colony. For ants with no social stomachs you will need to feed them more. For honey pot ants, you can leave them for much longer!
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum