Pogonomyrmex Californicus Diet

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

HaydenP95

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Diet

Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:39 pm

So back in I want to say maybe sometime in april, maybe may I found a pogonomyrmex californicus queen in my yard, central/northern california, Turlock to be specific. Ive kept her in a small 1gallon critter keeper with sand since then and have a vial of water another vial of sugar water and have offered her seeds Dill and Fennel, aswell as assorted dead insects, beetles, earwigs, and one time a skipper butterfly, but I have not seen her take food down into her nest every and the majority of the insect parts just lay on top and dry out. In this amount of time ive seen no workers whatsoever, just her exploring around her outworld. any tips on what i could feed her? and any idea as to why im not seeing workers?

antperson24

Re: Pogonomyrmex Californicus Diet

Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:11 am

HaydenP95 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:39 pm
So back in I want to say maybe sometime in april, maybe may I found a pogonomyrmex californicus queen in my yard, central/northern california, Turlock to be specific. Ive kept her in a small 1gallon critter keeper with sand since then and have a vial of water another vial of sugar water and have offered her seeds Dill and Fennel, aswell as assorted dead insects, beetles, earwigs, and one time a skipper butterfly, but I have not seen her take food down into her nest every and the majority of the insect parts just lay on top and dry out. In this amount of time ive seen no workers whatsoever, just her exploring around her outworld. any tips on what i could feed her? and any idea as to why im not seeing workers?
You might try reading about them here:https://www.antwiki.org/wiki/Pogonomyrmex_californicus
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN