Freezing insects to kill parasites?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

MarketTree

Freezing insects to kill parasites?

Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:40 pm

Hello,

I’ve had a number of reptiles over the years and have become distrusting of the quality/health of the feeder critters purchased from pet stores. As such, I’m paranoid about getting feeder crickets or mealworms from the pet store and introducing mites or some other parasite.

The question is, if I freeze the crickets for a couple of days first, will that be enough to kill any mites or parasites that may be present?

Thanks a lot!

Haze809

Re: Freezing insects to kill parasites?

Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:26 pm

Any reason you want to opt for freezing instead of boiling?

MarketTree

Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:17 pm

Haze809 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:26 pm
Any reason you want to opt for freezing instead of boiling?
No real reason. It just seemed quick and easy to pop them into the freezer Immediately after purchase and take them out as needed.

So, I know that boiling is the sure fire way to kill mites, but would freezing also do the trick? And do you think I’m crazy for being paranoid about pet store feeders?

acuriousnewbie

Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:39 pm

for what i know...freezing just slow the time the parasites grow?It dosen't really kill it. But might work if you put it directly in after buying...so it dosen't start growing at all.

MarketTree

Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:14 am

acuriousnewbie wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:39 pm
for what i know...freezing just slow the time the parasites grow?It dosen't really kill it. But might work if you put it directly in after buying...so it dosen't start growing at all.
Great to know! Thanks a lot for the input!

With boiling, how long should a cricket be boiled to kill all possible mites, parasites, etc?

ttshaw1

Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:12 pm

I've always heard that parasites are killed in the freezer. Not bacteria, but multicellular animals.

RuinedDrone

Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:12 am

Almost all multicellur orgnisms are killed by freezing as the ice crystals destroy the cells. Freezing will also kill many Bacteria but there are also many that can / will survive it.

So apart from a few speclised orgnisms such as the Tardgrad and even few frogs and fish there are few that can stand prelonged freezing below -10 (most freezers are around -18)

so yes as most parasites and mites are also in the insect family they will die at simular temptures to the animals insects (ants) they infect.

But as I would be as conserened about bateria infections boiling is a good move. However on the flip side boiling alters the protin structure of the food unlike freezing so some of the nutrition will be lost with boiling.

Personal i would look for a good supplier who garantee the conditions they rasie the feeder insects in. and if you are in any way conserned then i woudl Boil, as above freezing will sort out the parasites but not any infectious agents like bacteria.

Alaydia

Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:42 am

Unfortunately, freezing generally slows down bacterial growth, it doesn't stop it. Otherwise we'd never get sick in winter (excepting viruses) and as a health care worker, I can attest this is not the case. This is why food can still go bad even in the freezer. Parasites, I can't speak for. Freezing insects will also tend to dry them out, ie freeze drying, which makes them harder for ants to eat because they have to essentially re-wet them.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Main interest is C. Pennsylvanicus, interested in most native ants to my area.