How often do you feed your newer Tetramorium colonies

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

AntChuck

How often do you feed your newer Tetramorium colonies

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:21 pm

Currently i have 3 colonies in single test tubes. One colony is 1 queen, 4 nanatics, 20ish brood. Second colony is 2 queens, 5 nanatics, 30ish brood. Third colony is 2 queens, 7 nanatics, 30ish brood. They have all consumed portions of a cricket, chicken, peanut and today each received their own fly. The queens must love the fly because all of them have been active in carving up the flies.

My multiple test tube, one queen colony has 26 nanatics, around 150-200 brood. I've fed them peanut, chicken, 2 crickets, 2 very small beetles and 1 large beetle this past week.

My AC tower colony was brood boosted and has 6 nanatics and 7 full grown workers, single queen and around 50ish brood. They have had chicken, chicken nugget, cricket, beetle. With larger workers they are more effective at cleaning up their food.
Keeper of:
1 x Lasius Flavus
1 x Aphaenogaster Fulva
1 x Tetramorium Immigrans
1 x Prenolepsis Imparis

Hawkeye

Re: How often do you feed your newer Tetramorium colonies

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:39 am

Well it kind of depends on the colony itself and their particular needs. Keep an eye on the food you offer and see if all of it gets eaten. For the smaller colonies I would say every 4 days? The larger one (26 workers) probably every 2 days.
About the flies, the queens have probably been the only ones with jaws strong enough to chew through the exoskeleton.
Have you tried offering something like the jelly of wet cat / dog food? That would be far easier to manage for the nanitics and is a great source of protein.

antnest8

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:36 pm

Tetremorium grow really fast so i would feed them small increments at a time until they stop eating.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Whitelotus

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:37 pm

I have posted this on another post but Tetramorium will eat just about anything. Legumes, such as walnuts, pumpkin kernels, chicken, ham, crickets, roaches, honey, fruit you name it. Sugar and protein options are broad for this genus. Just ensure that the protein is wet/fresh. They will lose interest if it becomes dry. My Tetramorium colony will get almonds, feeder crickets, oranges, or just about anything that I feel they will enjoy.

My new Formica Colony is a bit picky with their options so be glad this genus is willing to eat just about anything to ensure the growth of their colony.