Feeding ants chicken wings or other human food

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Leviticus

Feeding ants chicken wings or other human food

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:24 pm

Hello fairly new to ant keeping just started this year and I have a few beginning colonies :D :D :D I was eating chicken wings and noticed a lot of meats and fats that were too small for me to worry about eating myself and thought I can feed this to my ants but would it be harmful? What types if food should I not give my ants? Are there any human foods that I should avoid giving my ants just kinda want some insight into ant keeping from some of you guys with more experience.

Keeping:
Crematogaster sp.
Phiedole sp.

Hawkeye

Re: Feeding ants chicken wings or other human food

Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:48 am

Leviticus wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:24 pm
Hello fairly new to ant keeping just started this year and I have a few beginning colonies :D :D :D I was eating chicken wings and noticed a lot of meats and fats that were too small for me to worry about eating myself and thought I can feed this to my ants but would it be harmful? What types if food should I not give my ants? Are there any human foods that I should avoid giving my ants just kinda want some insight into ant keeping from some of you guys with more experience.

Keeping:
Crematogaster sp.
Phiedole sp.
I would avoid food with added chemicals or may have traces of medicine / added hormones in them. But otherwise it's fine to give them manageable pieces of human food.
The jelly of wet cat/dog food seems to be a bit with most ants and a very good source of protein. I would hold off the actual chunks of meat from the pet food until your colony is a descent size.
Boiled egg white, peanutbutter, jam, sesame or poppy seeds etc are worth a try. As long as they are organic and free of pesticides. You might want to soak any seeds in water for a couple of hours before offering them, so they soften up.

antnest8

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:34 pm

Ants seem to like our food in the wild why won't they in captivity?
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Whitelotus

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:57 pm

Some ants in the wild are not picky with what is available such as Tetramorium. Others have preferences. Ants prefer hemolymph (bug blood) in general, so you won't find it in human foods. If you are going to provide human foods, be sure the food is not dry, they will not be interested as much.

If you do want to feed them insects, do not feed them any insects you find laying around as they may contain harmful bacteria. Find a local pet store that sells feeder insects. You can find them near the reptile department. Meal worms, fruit flies, feeder crickets, and some others depending on what they stock. You can easily place them in a freezer for a few minutes so that they stop moving, or if they are in a closed bag, die and chop it up and feed it to your colonies. Petsmart general sells feeder crickets for 15 cents each so you do not have to worry about getting food being too expensive.