Myrmecina graminicola diet tips

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

core1331

Myrmecina graminicola diet tips

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:44 pm

So I caught what looks like a Myrmecina graminicola queen in Belgium. She appears to be doing fine although she is very shy and very inactive. I figured out she is semi-claustral which means I should already be worried about her diet. I gave some yam and som cracked nuts as a start while she is in a test tube connected by a narrow entrance to the small outworld. This was just speculation on my part. Does anyone know for sure they are semi-claustral and most importantly what this species tends to like during founding and afterwards.

Many thanks in advance!
owns 1 Lasius Niger colony since 2016.

Hawkeye

Re: Myrmecina graminicola diet tips

Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:00 pm

That's quite an interesting species you've found. They can have multiple queens, which in turn can be mono/polygynous. So some queens will want to work together, while other will want to be the sole ruler.

The ants are typically scavengers and don't tend to aphids. They even wander into other species nests to forage where they role up in a ball when they get disturbed.

So besides insects, pieces of fruit and honey, you might want to try some seeds? I don't know they sound like opportunist omnivores so I guess you'll have to find out by trial and error.