Dry cat food for Laius Niger?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

boreynorthwind

Dry cat food for Laius Niger?

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:14 am

Hey! So I currently own a small colony of Lasius Niger (Queen, one worker and lots of brood). I was wondering if it is okay to feed them dry cat food as a protein source. If so, is there a specific type of cat food that ants eat.

JoeHostile1

Re: Dry cat food for Laius Niger?

Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:17 am

You should feed them bugs as a protein source because that is what they naturally eat. I’ve offered dry cat food to my Lasius colonies they never touched it. The only ants that I have that were interested in it were my 10k plus tetramorium colony. I think they are only interested in food that is not bugs is if they are very hungry because I noticed they were going to town on the cat food until I dumped a large amount of crickets in there. Then they stopped taking the cat food and took all the crickets instead.

It’s also possible that only large colonies can eat dry cat food because the worker ants have trouble chewing solid food and they can use their larvae to chew the cat food for them.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

Hunter36o

Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:15 pm

Oh, I did not know they would eat dry cat food. I was under the impression they would only eat it if slightly moist but that turned me off as dog food can mold quick when moist so I assume the same goes for cat food. Mental note taken :lol:
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

PAants

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:39 pm

Interesting. In the wild, I've always found ants go crazy for dry dog food. I've not tried feeding it to a captive colony, though.

LasiusSapien

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:05 am

don't know about the dry stuff but my lasius niger go mad for the jelly from wet dog/cat food
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

antnest8

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:05 pm

I think certain species have there prefrences (makes sense because food is one of the main factors that creates new species). in general I think that species of the myrmecinia family seem to be less picky on what they eat while formicadia is very picky.

(sorry for spelling errors)
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Hawkeye

Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:39 pm

boreynorthwind wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:14 am
Hey! So I currently own a small colony of Lasius Niger (Queen, one worker and lots of brood). I was wondering if it is okay to feed them dry cat food as a protein source. If so, is there a specific type of cat food that ants eat.
In general, ants prefer wet food, but give it a try?

antnest8

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:32 pm

I know lasius outside mu house like dry dog food. But captive colonies are sometimes more picky (probably because they are smaller)
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum