Do Odontomachus need to eat sugary foods all the time?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Puncarlol

Do Odontomachus need to eat sugary foods all the time?

Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi there,

Im raising a queen of odontomachus and another one of ectattoma ants which are semi claustral and I know they are very tricky to care for but I accepted the challenge regardless of the difficulty. The odontomachus has a lot of eggs which she carries with her jaws and i feed her (as well as the ectattoma) with mealworms every 2-3 days. I'm not completely sure if it is necessary to keep them sugary foods as i feel that they are stuck with their eggs and larvae, they dont seem to grow.

In particular, the ectattoma had some eggs and a couple of very advanced larvae but it saddened me to discovered that only one remains. I keep them warm since their are native of a temperate weather and I try, for the most part, to keep their test tubes moist but I would appreciate all the tips and advice you guys can give me.

Thanks in advance.
Crematogaster Ampla x2
Ectatomma Ruidom
Pheidole Reclusi
Dorymyrmex Insanus
Odontomachus Erythrocephalus

All in founding stage ;)

BigBlueBlur

Re: Do Odontomachus need to eat sugary foods all the time?

Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:47 pm

Puncarlol wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:57 pm
Hi there,

Im raising a queen of odontomachus and another one of ectattoma ants which are semi claustral and I know they are very tricky to care for but I accepted the challenge regardless of the difficulty. The odontomachus has a lot of eggs which she carries with her jaws and i feed her (as well as the ectattoma) with mealworms every 2-3 days. I'm not completely sure if it is necessary to keep them sugary foods as i feel that they are stuck with their eggs and larvae, they dont seem to grow.

In particular, the ectattoma had some eggs and a couple of very advanced larvae but it saddened me to discovered that only one remains. I keep them warm since their are native of a temperate weather and I try, for the most part, to keep their test tubes moist but I would appreciate all the tips and advice you guys can give me.

Thanks in advance.
Hello Puncarlol, I am currently raising a trap jaw ant colony from a single queen and just got my first couple of workers a little less than a week ago. I have been giving my ants around 5 termites every morning for protein and I keep a cotton ball saturated with sugar water inside their container.
And yes I know this is completely overkill, but my thinking is that if I give her too much then she just won't eat the ones that she doesn't want.
So far that has been working out fine for me.