Honey/mealworms

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

antsMAN

Honey/mealworms

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:39 am

I have three successful colonies Lasius neoniger, Camponotus herculeanus, and Formica fusca.

I feed them all natural unpasteurized honey, should I water down the honey or just give it to them straight? The honey is in a small liquid feeder.

The meal worms I freeze, when I take them out and cut them up for the ants they get quite juicy and turn black almost immediately is this okay?

I also feed them watermelon, apples, pears, oranges, cheese, sugar, raisins, and eggs. I have fed them wet dog food, but I learned that wasn't so good for them so I stopped.

I have started a bottle fly culture, I know flies aren't usually a good food source due to contaminants. But if I grow them myself they should be fine? I freeze all insects before feeding them to my ants at least 24h.

Rovvov99

Re: Honey/mealworms

Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:07 am

How you give them honey doesn't matter so much, it depends on the preference of the ants. Mealworms are best given freshly killed (crickets to, they turn black as well), I usually cut them open or give them alive. If you grow the flies yourself it is fine.

SweetDirtyTooth

Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:19 am

My ants puke honey if not watered down.
I keep a container of meal worms and cut them for my ants. they also turn black fast.

Benbo1

Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:48 pm

At the moment I have a Lassus Niger queen in a test tube when she is put into a nest what shall I feed her?

Rovvov99

Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:08 pm

It's best to start with something small, like fruit flies.

Benbo1

Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:23 am

Rovvov can I see a few pictures of your colonies I am only a begginer and Lasius Niger is my first queen?

Rovvov99

Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:43 am

Sure !
It won't let me upload more than 3 photos so I'll post another series. This one will be about my Pheidole Pallidulla colony.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rovvov99

Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:54 am

This is about my Myrmica Rubra and Tetramorium Ceaspitum colonies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.