A bunch of stuff about FOOD!

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Antman1

A bunch of stuff about FOOD!

Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:56 pm

Hey I was wondering where you guys get food whether you buy them or find them. Also how do you raise your food that you feed them? What is good to feed your ants? How much should you feed them?

Thanks

Solenopsisace

Re: A bunch of stuff about FOOD!

Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:17 pm

You're going to have to try everything. I started to feed my ants termites fruits like cantaloupe and stuff and a few seeds from the yard. And whatever they don't touch this what they like. But sometimes like my aunt every two weeks or so change their mind on what kind of bug I give them. So I try not to give them just Moss from the porch light all the time. The best thing to do is get a blacklight and set it outside it works better than a porch light you will have all kinds of bugs coming to you.

GriffinAnt

Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:15 am

i have a mealworm farm and protein jelly pots plus darkling beetles which my messors love.

AntsRule

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:36 am

I have a bearded dragon and I am starting to breed Dubia Cockroaches because they are the most nutritious and the easiest to breed. I will be giving my ants them and termites. You can collect whole termite colones and they will breed if you provide the right things. :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

Antman1

Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:18 pm

Where can you get Dubai Cockroaches?

AntsRule

Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:39 pm

I think Dubai roach depot is the best site in my opinion. They are very big so they will need to be cut up very small. They are like the size of a credit card. I will primarily be using termites though. :D

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

Solenopsisace

Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:02 pm

Antman1 wrote:Where can you get Dubai Cockroaches?
U live in texas bro.your pretty much like florida,except everything is bigger in texas.i was stationd in fort hood for 2 years .i saw roaches i could put a sattle on while i was there.u have all the ant food u need right there in your yard :D

AntsRule

Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:13 pm

Solenopsisace wrote:
U live in texas bro.your pretty much like florida,except everything is bigger in texas.i was stationd in fort hood for 2 years .i saw roaches i could put a sattle on while i was there.u have all the ant food u need right there in your yard :D
I would not do that. They could have could have gotten into pesticides which could transfer to the ants and do some damage. :D Oh and Texas and Florida might have laws against Dubias because they can reproduce in the weather down there.

Keeper of:
Pheidole sp.

Antman1

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:06 pm

Solenopsisace wrote:
Haha so true buddy, anything in texas is 10 times bigger than anything in places like florida and stuff. Its honestly scary.

EdgarFromLatvia

Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:55 am

AntsRule wrote:I think Dubai roach depot is the best site in my opinion. They are very big so they will need to be cut up very small. They are like the size of a credit card. I will primarily be using termites though. :D
I would RUN FOR MY LIFE if i would see a protein source like this, because what if he thinks that i am a good protein source for HIM?