lasius workers

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

cheetawolf

lasius workers

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:18 pm

how many lasius workers would it take to subdue a superworm? and what would be the casualties
Fellow Ant Keeper!
Youtuber
Channel name: Evador (please check out my channel that would be epic)
link-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-7SIjQbnXF6_w-5cCT9A7A

GAN farmer in BC Canada

TheRealAntMan

Re: lasius workers

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:11 pm

cheetawolf wrote:
how many lasius workers would it take to subdue a superworm? and what would be the casualties
It's never recommended to feed ants live food. Superworms have extremely tough exoskeletons that could probably take a few days for your ants to actually start inflicting actual damage to it. Again I don't recommend feeding your ants live food and you should probably never feed your ants such a large, live creature.
An ants' strength can be rivaled by few animals compared to relative body size.

idahoantgirl

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:53 pm

A large colony of fire ants could do it, but other than that, I wouldn't try it
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

cheetawolf

Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:58 pm

TheRealAntMan wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:11 pm
cheetawolf wrote:
It's never recommended to feed ants live food. Superworms have extremely tough exoskeletons that could probably take a few days for your ants to actually start inflicting actual damage to it. Again I don't recommend feeding your ants live food and you should probably never feed your ants such a large, live creature.
an acquaintance of mine 'ender ants' said 20 would do the trick... so
Fellow Ant Keeper!
Youtuber
Channel name: Evador (please check out my channel that would be epic)
link-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-7SIjQbnXF6_w-5cCT9A7A

GAN farmer in BC Canada

JoeHostile1

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:00 am

cheetawolf wrote:
Only one way to find out.
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans * Lasius Neoniger * Lasius Claviger * Messor Aciculatus * Myrmica Rubra * Camponotus Novaeboracensis * Camponotus Turkastanus * Pheidole Pallidula

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSfFtn6RegZ3F1NdS1g08NA

Hunter36o

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:13 pm

One part of me says do not do it but the other part just keeps saying do it put for for a reason.

There is recent Lasius behaviour to suggest a possibility of a stinger or another defensive/ offensive tactic is at play with these girls as they have shown actions like these when threatened and or fed my their ant keeper. So it would be interesting to see if this behaviour is present in some of the Lasius colonies belonged to users of this forum. I would suggest however u crush the tail end of the superworms because like it is mentioned above it does have a hard exoskeleton but this will keep it live long enough to have some resistance from the ants and kick up a small fight. This in turn would trigger the response to use this stinger or other defence for better confirmation on a broader global scale.

Just wait until you have at least 30 or more good workers before attempting anything like this.

Other than something similar to the above there is no real point to try giving your ants live food. No need to risk injury.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.