Pheidole food?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

KdenKden

Pheidole food?

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:53 pm

What is a good source of protein for a small starting Pheidole colony, lets say about 2-5 workers. I fed them small dead spiders that they would gladly take and sometimes they would hunt and consume springtails, but the springtails would always stress the queen. They haven't accepted anything else. Help please.
Currently housing Solenopsis Molesta and Brachymyrmex patagonicus.

Alexander

Re: Pheidole food?

Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:22 am

I have a pheidole colony and they love crickets (the colony is small try feeding pin heads), they also realy like cockroaches and fruit flies for protein. They dont like mealworms or superworms!
For sugary foods they reay like honey and they prefer a mix of brown sugar whith water over white sugar (dont know why)!
Hope this helped
Keeper of:
Lasius niger
Messor barbarus
Campanotus Barbaricus
Tetramorium Caespitum
Campanotus Vagus
Tapinoma nigerium
Iberoformica subrufa

KdenKden

Re: Pheidole food?

Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:37 am

Alexander wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:22 am
I have a pheidole colony and they love crickets (the colony is small try feeding pin heads), they also realy like cockroaches and fruit flies for protein. They dont like mealworms or superworms!
For sugary foods they reay like honey and they prefer a mix of brown sugar whith water over white sugar (dont know why)!
Hope this helped
thankyou !
Currently housing Solenopsis Molesta and Brachymyrmex patagonicus.