Trying a store bought food jelly

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Trying a store bought food jelly

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:14 pm

So I was at PetSmart today getting some stuff for my new nest I'm moving my Solenopsis Invicta into and came across this insect food (jelly) that states it's "Ideal food for pet beetles, crickets, and other insects". After looking at the contents I'm going to give it a try with my Solenopsis once I move them into the new setup. Below are some pictures of the front and back of the package. Once I try it I will post an update on how they reacted and which of the three they preferred.

MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

MorbidBugg

Re: Trying a store bought food jelly

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:32 pm

As a past compound mixer for a candy company words like 'artifical flavors' worry Me. That means it's chemically created and has no origins of coming from the real source. Regardless it's 90% sugar 4% colour 4% preservatives and roughly 2% bonding agents. Should be mostly harmless it doesn't seem to say anything that would be protein unless apples and bananas have a significant amount. I'm curious to say the least.
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

oOFutteOo

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:32 am

There are some Protein in it according to the contents but the weird thing is brown sugar have the highest contents :roll:

MorbidBugg

Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:03 pm

MadVampy wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:14 pm
So I was at PetSmart today getting some stuff for my new nest I'm moving my Solenopsis Invicta into and came across this insect food (jelly) that states it's "Ideal food for pet beetles, crickets, and other insects". After looking at the contents I'm going to give it a try with my Solenopsis once I move them into the new setup. Below are some pictures of the front and back of the package. Once I try it I will post an update on how they reacted and which of the three they preferred.

Any updates by chance?
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:09 pm

UPDATE:

I finally got the colony to move into the new AC nest and as a treat I gave them the "Nectar" cup and they instantly swarmed it. Even after 3 days there is a min of 30+ workers feeding on it, they even started moving small rock pebbles onto the cup as they always do with their food (hiding it and protecting it from other insects or scavengers). The small cup is at least a 1/4 gone already.

I will also post another update when I feed them one of the other flavors.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

CANant

Mon May 18, 2020 3:33 pm

Thanks MadVampy!
I didn’t see this post before. I bought some for my ants. Haven’t found a better source or supplier yet. Do you still feed these?
Also my colony is approx at 60 workers now but I’m worried feeding one cup would be a waste or it would spoil too fast before they could consume one cup. The package doesn’t say you can refrigerate or freeze the sealed cups or open cups. I know Mikey mentioned in a video he froze his but they were from Japan I believe and I’m not sure of the ingredients. There’s also a gel products you mix by Repashy. I thought about trying them as a food source for my crickets and ants.
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Temnothorax ambiguus/curvispinosus (Acorn ant)

Lasius Interjectus (Larger citronella ant) with host workers: L. Americanus

🐜❤️

Aaaaaa

Tue May 19, 2020 6:06 pm

Is this kind of like flavored honey, or does it feel like jello? Is it sticky or smooth or rubbery?
Owner of
2 fire ant queens :D

CANant

Tue May 19, 2020 6:33 pm

Aaaaaa wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:06 pm
Is this kind of like flavored honey, or does it feel like jello? Is it sticky or smooth or rubbery?
Yes jello is the closest thing to it I think. It’s just not as firm as jello I think. It’s not just sugar and gelatin, it has added nutrients. I have noticed some are higher in protein than other brands.
Keeper of:

🐜❤️

Aaaaaa

Wed May 20, 2020 7:46 am

Ok, that’s great, do you think someone could order it on Amazon, or Walmart, something like that?
Owner of
2 fire ant queens :D

CANant

Wed May 20, 2020 9:10 am

Aaaaaa wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:46 am
Ok, that’s great, do you think someone could order it on Amazon, or Walmart, something like that?
Amazon usual sells these items. Not sure about Walmart. I’m in Canada so I might not have as many options as you might. Look for Komodo Jelly Pots. I’ve been reading that some people use them. Just make sure they are for insectivores. I know there are some human ones that are pretty much just jello. I’m trying to find out if the Repashy ones would be good but I think they are a powder you add hot water to to make the jelly. Japanese Protein Jelly Is another that I can’t get in my area.
If you google protein jelly for ants it might yield some results in your area. It’s recommended to still feed sugar water/nectar and bugs (like crickets, mealworms/super worms, spiders etc) and water of course.
Keeper of:

🐜❤️