Trying a store bought food jelly

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Trying a store bought food jelly

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:14 pm

So I was at PetSmart today getting some stuff for my new nest I'm moving my Solenopsis Invicta into and came across this insect food (jelly) that states it's "Ideal food for pet beetles, crickets, and other insects". After looking at the contents I'm going to give it a try with my Solenopsis once I move them into the new setup. Below are some pictures of the front and back of the package. Once I try it I will post an update on how they reacted and which of the three they preferred.

MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

MorbidBugg

Re: Trying a store bought food jelly

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:32 pm

As a past compound mixer for a candy company words like 'artifical flavors' worry Me. That means it's chemically created and has no origins of coming from the real source. Regardless it's 90% sugar 4% colour 4% preservatives and roughly 2% bonding agents. Should be mostly harmless it doesn't seem to say anything that would be protein unless apples and bananas have a significant amount. I'm curious to say the least.
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

oOFutteOo

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:32 am

There are some Protein in it according to the contents but the weird thing is brown sugar have the highest contents :roll:

MorbidBugg

Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:03 pm

MadVampy wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:14 pm
So I was at PetSmart today getting some stuff for my new nest I'm moving my Solenopsis Invicta into and came across this insect food (jelly) that states it's "Ideal food for pet beetles, crickets, and other insects". After looking at the contents I'm going to give it a try with my Solenopsis once I move them into the new setup. Below are some pictures of the front and back of the package. Once I try it I will post an update on how they reacted and which of the three they preferred.

Any updates by chance?
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:09 pm

UPDATE:

I finally got the colony to move into the new AC nest and as a treat I gave them the "Nectar" cup and they instantly swarmed it. Even after 3 days there is a min of 30+ workers feeding on it, they even started moving small rock pebbles onto the cup as they always do with their food (hiding it and protecting it from other insects or scavengers). The small cup is at least a 1/4 gone already.

I will also post another update when I feed them one of the other flavors.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted: