2 nanitics Laius Niger. Yay!!

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Hunter36o

2 nanitics Laius Niger. Yay!!

Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:10 pm

They are here and I am so excited I had to put them back almost straight away to deal with it first haha.
Now I was wondering since I only check on these on Sundays so I cannot give an accurate number of days on these two little girls and with them being so active it could be 1 full day or 7 for all I know. Would it be okay to feed them honey using the straw method since there are 3 living, active ants all together now? I am not sure if it is already too much on the queen to feed two nanitics and larvae..
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

idahoantgirl

Re: 2 nanitics Laius Niger. Yay!!

Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:40 pm

Yup! As a rule of thumb, provide an outworld with the straw method when you get your first worker.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Hunter36o

Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:06 pm

Okay cool beans. I have all that done now with a piece of a grape and honey. I've noticed people have trouble feeding ants protein straight away so will I wait another couple of days before I add a cricket leg?
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Hunter36o

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:37 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:40 pm
Yup! As a rule of thumb, provide an outworld with the straw method when you get your first worker.
Okay what do I do when the queen decides she is going to block up the hole to let the workers to go threw. The straw is completed blocked and I know she did because I watched her do so and I'm at a loss.......

Hunter36o

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:02 pm

Hey Idaho, there are 4 of them now but still no luck. They investigate the edge but then run straight back to mommy. Is this normal, I am just worried their mother wont have much left to sustain these little ones.