Semi clostrual queens more interested in fruit and honey over protein foods.

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

Hunter36o

Semi clostrual queens more interested in fruit and honey over protein foods.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:12 am

As it says up top. The seem more interested in the sweety stuff over the meaty stuff. Now there is a batch of eggs but I do not think any have hatched yet but it would be close to it at this point if none were eaten.

I would have assumed at this point, since.one of the queens is with me for 2 weeks now she would want/ need to intake protein at this point? Or will she use up some protein from her wing muscles ? Oh these are Myrmica Rubra.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

AntnoobSG

Re: Semi clostrual queens more interested in fruit and honey over protein foods.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:55 am

My trapjaw (semi clustral) only eats protein
Keeper of :
Camponotus albosparsus x2 :o
Camponotus Irritans ;)
Hoping for pheidole colony :D

ClashOwenBash

Re: Semi clostrual queens more interested in fruit and honey over protein foods.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:19 pm

Their diets change depending on wether they have larvae or eggs. As they need more protien to raise the larvae ti help them grow, but only need energy (sugar foods) for themselves along with small amounts of protien to keep them going. (this does vary on sp.)
Ant-keeper going into his 4th year of loving ants!

KimNorway

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:20 am

I do not know the details of that species, but the general idea of ants is usually this:
The adult ants as far I know do not digest protein directly, that goes to the larvae, which feeds protein in liquid form trough prophylaxis. So until the larvae hatches, the queens lays an occasional 'dead' egg meant for consummation, generating nutrition.

Mcrummett

Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:10 pm

I’d been giving my new colony sugary treats and some “protein shake” that came with the queen. Today I gave them a dead spider and they DESTROYED it. Fascinating, they took it back to the queens area and now barely a leg left

Hunter36o

Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:15 pm

Thanks for the reply guys :D
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Puncarlol

Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:48 pm

AntnoobSG wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:55 am
My trapjaw (semi clustral) only eats protein
What proteins do you feed your odontomachus with?
Crematogaster Ampla x2
Ectatomma Ruidom
Pheidole Reclusi
Dorymyrmex Insanus
Odontomachus Erythrocephalus

All in founding stage ;)

AntnoobSG

Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:42 am

Crickets
Keeper of :
Camponotus albosparsus x2 :o
Camponotus Irritans ;)
Hoping for pheidole colony :D

AntsDakota

Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:07 pm

*** SPAM *** wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:19 pm
Their diets change depending on wether they have larvae or eggs. As they need more protien to raise the larvae ti help them grow, but only need energy (sugar foods) for themselves along with small amounts of protien to keep them going. (this does vary on sp.)
If the queen has only pupae, then she won't need much protein either.
"God made every kind of wild beasts and every kind of livestock and every kind of creeping things;" (including ants) "and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:25