lasius murphyi and host colony

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

MorbidBugg

lasius murphyi and host colony

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:13 am

So I have a lasius MurphyI colony with what I assume to be lasius niger or subgenus close to. Now I know they prefer honeydew from subterranean aphids but I'm at a sort of crossroads. My other ants accept all forms of protein and sugar. But these guys seem exceptionally finicky. I gave them a couple of fruit flies (3) and it doesn't appear they've touched them. I tried a cluster fly (the flies that show up out of no where in the middle of summer) that I use to breed maggots for fishing and theY still don't seem interested I'm trying a pre killed maggot now but my hopes are pretty low. The colony size is 1 queen maybe 8 workers now that have eclose. Perhaps they don't require enough protein to be visibly eating it? They also do not bring the food to the nest like the others they just leave it outside the nest.

Next sugars. I've tried a syrup concoction thays been sitting for a week and there's more dirt in it then anything else I have not seen one ant go to it. We also have a crab apple tree in the neigbor yard that is not sprayed for bugs so I tried a slice of that. They seemed interested but not enough to illicit a feed response. .. any suggestions on food and how to prepare. The queen is laying eggs now and I want to make sure the new workers get
The best of the best but they kinda refuse my go to feed..
Ants are life's most successful invaders. Understand and respect that power.

antnest8

Re: lasius murphyi and host colony

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:35 am

just keep on trying new foods their is another person on the forum whose colony will only eat geckos
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

Hunter36o

Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:43 am

I just tried a green grape with my Myrmica queen's and although I know different species it is by far the best response I have gotten for anything I have given them.
Try cutting one in half to expose the juciey insides and try that.

As for protein, have you tried cooked chicken ? I do not know much about the particular kind of lasius but if the usual does not seem to work it may be time to think outside the box?
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

Hunter36o

Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:01 am

antnest8 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:35 am
just keep on trying new foods their is another person on the forum whose colony will only eat geckos
Thanks to my 2 year old for that whole topic I kept thinking of Gecko from PJ Masks 😂😂
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.