Feeding earthworms??

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

peacefulexit

Re: Feeding earthworms??

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:30 am

What do you guys think about feeding worms you buy from online like uncle jim's worms to your ants? They aren't wild. I would assume they would be pesticide-free as well?

idahoantgirl

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:36 am

If your speaking of plain earth worms from a shop, I imagine it would be safer, but I've also heard that earth worms just aren't very nutritious for ants.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Geicogecko

Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:40 am

Im curious about this from an earthworm farm aspect, assuming you have water, and honey, can ants live purely off an earthworm as a form of protein? In regards to where i live (just a fair distance from operating pet stores) i was curious if i could raise a separate farm of earthworms as feeders. Im also trying to find aphids and springtails locally, aswell as a queen ant. Im just asking if given all these conditions offered if earthworms can fit that. If this was answered in a previous post or other topic im sorry.

QJH2023

Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:33 am

if you plan on giving wild insects here's some advice look for insects that live full time underground and away from fields make sure they had no chance to come in contact pesticides hope this helps ;)
keeper of: 41xCamponotus novaeboracensis, Crematogaster spp. and unidentified species and tapinoma sessile