Can I feed my ants this?

Posts and questions relating to ant diet & nutrition. Let us know what you’re feeding your ants.

Moderator: ooper01

plumber

Can I feed my ants this?

Tue May 24, 2022 11:49 am

Hi, everyone.
I was wondering if hummingbird nectar is safe for ants to eat. The species in particular is camponotus maritimus.

I was going to buy a product called: PERKY-PET HUMMINGBIRD NECTAR CONCENTRATE
Is this safe for my ants to eat? They are currently in the founding process.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Can I feed my ants this?

Tue May 24, 2022 11:57 am

plumber wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:49 am
Hi, everyone.
I was wondering if hummingbird nectar is safe for ants to eat. The species in particular is camponotus maritimus.

I was going to buy a product called: PERKY-PET HUMMINGBIRD NECTAR CONCENTRATE
Is this safe for my ants to eat? They are currently in the founding process.
Don’t feed it to queens in the founding process, as they don’t need it(Unless you want to when your queen has larvae)

I have heard several people use this product for ants(Or similar products), but check the ingredients to make sure.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AM1C39

Tue May 24, 2022 1:11 pm

An easier solution is to simply mix sugar with water, whitch is what we use in our hummingbird feeders.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue May 24, 2022 1:40 pm

AM1C39 wrote:
An easier solution is to simply mix sugar with water, whitch is what we use in our hummingbird feeders.
True. And cheaper! :mrgreen:

plumber

Tue May 24, 2022 2:39 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Don’t feed it to queens in the founding process, as they don’t need it(Unless you want to when your queen has larvae)

I have heard several people use this product for ants(Or similar products), but check the ingredients to make sure.

The ingredients are: Water, Sucrose, Citric Acid, Sodium benzoate, fd&c #40, Potassium sorbate

Are those fine? The queen has 1 worker, and some larvae.

SolenopsisKeeper

Tue May 24, 2022 2:53 pm

plumber wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

The ingredients are: Water, Sucrose, Citric Acid, Sodium benzoate, fd&c #40, Potassium sorbate

Stick to suagr water for now, I am unaware how that affects ants… I wouldn’t be surprised if they added something to kill wasps and insects, as insects can be a problem for hummingbird feeders

plumber

Tue May 24, 2022 4:41 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
plumber wrote:
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Stick to suagr water for now, I am unaware how that affects ants… I wouldn’t be surprised if they added something to kill wasps and insects, as insects can be a problem for hummingbird feeders

Okay. Thank you so much!

AntsLuxembourg

Wed May 25, 2022 8:03 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 1:40 pm
AM1C39 wrote:
True. And cheaper! :mrgreen:
But I'm sure the hummingbirds be like: "Ah yes. That's the good sh*t/stuff".
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

AntsLuxembourg

Wed May 25, 2022 8:07 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

I think only butterflies might be an issue if you use a proper hummingbird feeder as most insects don't get deep enough into the flowers that have nectar inside. Due to the length of their tongue bees can't reach deep enough. But I'm no expert and I have never seen a hummingbird in real life.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed May 25, 2022 9:49 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:07 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

I think only butterflies might be an issue if you use a proper hummingbird feeder as most insects don't get deep enough into the flowers that have nectar inside. Due to the length of their tongue bees can't reach deep enough. But I'm no expert and I have never seen a hummingbird in real life.
Trust me, no one cares about bees or butterflies. They care about two particular insects,

Wasps

The Red Imported Fire Ant

Wasps burrow their head down into hummingbird feeders, and people don’t like wasp because they can be aggressive…

Fire ants… they make long trails to the feeder to kill any insect that lands, and also enjoy the feeder. It’s not just fire ants(Yes I am defending them), it is any sort of ant that can come in mass numbers. I know C. Floridanus can, but usually they stick to EFN’s.

Anyway, someone wrote a page on how to keep ants off(If any of you have this problem)

https://birdwatchinghq.com/ants-off-hummingbird-feeder/