Ants Escaping Vertical Omninest

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

SamuelMamuel

Ants Escaping Vertical Omninest

Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:39 pm

I have a small Omni Nest Vertical. My tetramorium colony finally moved in, however, in the course of 8 hours, I discovered 2 ants outside the nest voyaging around on my dresser. I would imagine that other ants have gotten out as well, but I just didn't see them. Are there holes in the nest that people know about, or a way I could prevent more escapees?
Colonies:
--Tetramorium Caespitum
--Camponotus pennsylvanicus
--Formica Sp.

idahoantgirl

Re: Ants Escaping Vertical Omninest

Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:00 pm

Its more likely that there is a problem with your outworld barrier or tube connections. What barrier are you using? Im sure if your omni is actually letting the ants escape then AC will get in contact with you,
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

SamuelMamuel

Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:35 pm

idahoantgirl wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:00 pm
Its more likely that there is a problem with your outworld barrier or tube connections. What barrier are you using? Im sure if your omni is actually letting the ants escape then AC will get in contact with you,
I'm using vaseline. But it is definetly the omni nest. The ants are also finding ways to access the upper levels that I blocked off.
Colonies:
--Tetramorium Caespitum
--Camponotus pennsylvanicus
--Formica Sp.

DeeJayX

Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:45 pm

Any chance you can post some pictures of the Omni nest and where they getting out. I ask because I just orders one and would like to know what to look out for. It would probably help figure out the problem.

idahoantgirl

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:02 pm

Hmm. There may be a defect. Also you may find that your ants will be able to cross vasaline in the future. The only thing I have found that works for my Tetramorium Immigrans is DRY baby powder (no rubbing alcohol.) I haven't tried fluon but I imagine that works as well. You may not have any escapes from your outworld till your colony is a bit bigger, but I might reccomend switching to dry baby powder.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile