L. niger; red light

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Arcticae

L. niger; red light

Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:26 pm

Hi all, first post!

So I managed to catch myself 7 L. niger dealates yesterday! Hoping that at least one will give me fertile eggs.
Now I know it's a while until I move them from their test tube setup into their first proper formicarium, but I like to think ahead.

I have access to an acrylic cutting machine so am planning on making my own nest and I was wondering whether it is indeed true of L. niger, as I have heard, that they cannot see red light. If so, could I make a transparent red acrylic nest cover so that the ants could be seen in the nest 24-7, but they would believe themselves to be in darkness?

I think that would be awesome for ant observation with minimal disturbance if it's a viable idea, but not 100% convinced the red light thing isn't an old wives' tale. :P Any opinions?

Hunter36o

Re: L. niger; red light

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:10 pm

I also have a few queens in test tube setups also niger. But every site i looked at about them always said that these particular ants could in fact see red light unlike other species that cannot.
Research is important before during and even after you have established a colony. There is always time to learn and to listen to others experiences. Live by this and your ants will thrive. Fail to do so and your experience may be brief.

antnest8

Re: L. niger; red light

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:06 pm

I know that ants can see red light but it still helps because they don't get as annoyed when they see red light. so if you just cover your ants in red film and not shine bright lights on them it could really help.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum