Advice on my First Outworld Please!!?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Masterchief

Advice on my First Outworld Please!!?

Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:29 am

I'm very excited to say that my Queen Lucy has a new home today! The colony Exploded over the last 2 days a an army of little'uns are running around! I placed them in this setup and gave them their first meal! I will also get a cricket leg, some seeds and some fruit for them over the next few hours! I did a thin layer of olive oil midway up the wall, then vasaline on the wall above that. Then I covered it with wrap and cut out the middle. With a qtip I put vasaline on the underside of the wrap. Then thanx to thinking back to some previous episodes of AC, I put vasaline on the outside of the enclosure! Please help with any advice! Am I ready for an official AC nest and Outworld setup? I'm excited to start "assembling" their world!! GO ACAF!!

Here she is: http://imgur.com/gallery/mLXwqt9
Keeper of
1 Liometopum Occidentale (Velvet Tree Ant)
1 Tetramorium (Pavement Ant)

Sinprex

Re: Advice on my First Outworld Please!!?

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:30 am

Very cool! I like what you did with the straws to let them in and out of their test tubes. I am still waiting to see if my first colony even starts, so don't know if I qualify for advice though lol. Only thing I see, that is just a convenience thing, is using paper taped around the tubes. I just have black construction paper taped with scotch tape. It looks like you have a piece of electrical tape or something there? I don't know, but feel like it might be easier to work with.

Otherwise so cool to see them venturing out. How many workers does she have so far?

antnest8

Re: Advice on my First Outworld Please!!?

Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:17 pm

well i would make sure the Vaseline works. my experience has not been great. if it works, congrats if not try some other barrier.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum