Formicariums for expanding colonies

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Idahoantguy

Formicariums for expanding colonies

Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:54 pm

Hello everyone,
So this week I started pulling my ants out of hibernation, and a few of my colonies’ test tubes were running dry. After I got the first colony moved over I noticed that they seemed reluctant to all move in to the new tube like they had done in the past. They seemed to want to use the old tube and portal as a formicarium. This got me thinking that they might be wanting a larger setup. I have some old unused tupper ware or ziploc containers that I thought I could use as formicariums, if I lined them with some Vaseline. Would this work? Or should I use something else. (I have about 3 or 4 colonies I would need to do this for by the way).
Thanks,
Idahoantguy
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry:

averagebilly

Re: Formicariums for expanding colonies

Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:19 pm

Depending on how you use the containers, they should work. I currently have a Camponotus colony in a "Tubs and Tubes" setup. If you don't know what it is, it's basically a tub outworld with test tubes lined up in a row. don't give tem too many test tubes, though, as they might start molding. I got the idea for this setup to use from AntsAustralia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8edRYbn65Oo
"Ant Love Forever" - Mikey Bustos

Idahoantguy

Re: Formicariums for expanding colonies

Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:31 pm

averagebilly wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:19 pm
Depending on how you use the containers, they should work. I currently have a Camponotus colony in a "Tubs and Tubes" setup. If you don't know what it is, it's basically a tub outworld with test tubes lined up in a row. don't give tem too many test tubes, though, as they might start molding. I got the idea for this setup to use from AntsAustralia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8edRYbn65Oo
Thanks!
Keeping:
Tetramorium immigrans x2

Anything but tetramorium please :cry: