Simple Out World

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Simple Out World

Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:58 pm

Ok so I've seen all these really cool looking out worlds and I'd love to make one with the fake plants and all but with all the extra stuff in there it just makes cleaning too much of a hassle. So I make it simple but functional. Started with that display case I had, laid some slate flooring tiles I had left over from a job (broke them into pieces) and put them on the bottom (stacked to give an elevation to it, then I mixed up some plaster of paris and poured it in and around the pieces. I then poured a little water in and worked the surface to get it soft and poured in some play sand and swished it around allowing it to attach where it was wet. I dumped out the extra and then with a wet paper towel I tamped it into place to set the sand. I let it set for about an hour and wiped off the extra sand and trimmed the two entry tubes (one will go to the hybrid nest and the other will be plugged and used for later expansion).

I think it will work for me and should be pretty easy to clean plus the flat areas where the slat is will allow food placement and also a place to set the test tube when they are ready to move in (also will be a place to place a water tube later.

MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

larynx

Re: Simple Out World

Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:09 pm

very nice, vampy. i love simplicity. things look so much better when they are kept simple. i do all my stuff like this. besides you can observe alot better with out all the deco stuff. A+ man. :mrgreen:
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Re: Simple Out World

Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:40 am

larynx wrote:very nice, vampy. i love simplicity. things look so much better when they are kept simple. i do all my stuff like this. besides you can observe alot better with out all the deco stuff. A+ man. :mrgreen:
Thanks. :)
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted: