Water leaking thru cotton

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

AntFin

Water leaking thru cotton

Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:41 am

So i made a starting nest for my queen out of two small containers where one of the containers is where the queen would live while the other on is where the water would be. Between the two containers there is a 5cm tube filled with cotton. When i fill the water container the water leaks thru to the queen side. I've even tried to fill the water container with cotton but it still leaks. I didnt understand how to post pictures but I hope you understand my explanation.

AqdasHassaan

Re: Water leaking thru cotton

Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:00 am

AntFin wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:41 am
So i made a starting nest for my queen out of two small containers where one of the containers is where the queen would live while the other on is where the water would be. Between the two containers there is a 5cm tube filled with cotton. When i fill the water container the water leaks thru to the queen side. I've even tried to fill the water container with cotton but it still leaks. I didnt understand how to post pictures but I hope you understand my explanation.
Just do the regular test tube setup. You don't have to have two separate containers for queen and water. You are only making it hard for you by using two containers.

Serafine

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:09 am

In a test tube the water is kept inside the tube by negative pressure. If done right (no air bubbles in the water reservoir) the cotton is sucked further into the tube while the water evaporates from it's surface, causing the nesting space available to the colony to increase while the colony is growing.

If you put water into a box with no air-tight lid any air that passes through the cotton can just move upwards through the water into the open - no negative pressure is created and the water will just flow through the cotton. That's essentially the physics behind it.

Cartil

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:28 pm

Serafine wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:09 am
In a test tube the water is kept inside the tube by negative pressure. If done right (no air bubbles in the water reservoir) the cotton is sucked further into the tube while the water evaporates from it's surface, causing the nesting space available to the colony to increase while the colony is growing.

If you put water into a box with no air-tight lid any air that passes through the cotton can just move upwards through the water into the open - no negative pressure is created and the water will just flow through the cotton. That's essentially the physics behind it.
Wow, very interesting explanation!

AqdasHassaan

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:12 pm

Indeed it was. For a moment, while reading his answer, I was like am I in a physics class. :D