Alternative heat

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Yestordsd287

Alternative heat

Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:42 pm

Hello, i have colonies in their founding stages. I was wondering how to heat them up without a heating cable. I am asking for this because i feel that it is cold even though it says that the temperature ranges from 20-25 degrees celcius. So i wanted to know if there is any alternative heating method rather than heating cables, because where i live not many pet stores sell reptiles, good sized aquariums, heating cables, etc, so i have to improvise with whatever i have at my disposal. So if anyone know alternative heating sources i would really apreciate the help.

CalCulus

Re: Alternative heat

Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:48 pm

An incandescent light could work. You just have to be careful not to bake them. It might be a bit excessive but you can do what I do. I keep my queen in a closet with a simple space heater. The heater has a thermostat on it set to 25 degrees Celsius, it is hardly ever on. It might seem a bit much but my house gets super hot in the summer so no AC really is not an option. So a heater keeping a constant temperature was the best answer.

Yestordsd287

Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:20 pm

CalCulus wrote:
An incandescent light could work. You just have to be careful not to bake them. It might be a bit excessive but you can do what I do. I keep my queen in a closet with a simple space heater. The heater has a thermostat on it set to 25 degrees Celsius, it is hardly ever on. It might seem a bit much but my house gets super hot in the summer so no AC really is not an option. So a heater keeping a constant temperature was the best answer.
Sorry if this might sound dumb but what and where can i get a simple space heater? And an incandescent light?

CalCulus

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:00 pm

Yestordsd287 wrote:
CalCulus wrote:
Sorry if this might sound dumb but what and where can i get a simple space heater? And an incandescent light?
Your best bet for both is a hardware store or supercenter. Sometimes you can even find incandescent light bulbs in grocery stores. Any non-led light will generate a fair amount of heat.

Yestordsd287

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:06 pm

CalCulus wrote:
Yestordsd287 wrote:
CalCulus wrote:
Your best bet for both is a hardware store or supercenter. Sometimes you can even find incandescent light bulbs in grocery stores. Any non-led light will generate a fair amount of heat.
as of now i think the simple space heater sounds better because i dont really have a lamp to use as a incandescent light. thanks for the help!!!

CalCulus

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:24 pm

Yestordsd287 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:06 pm
CalCulus wrote:
Yestordsd287 wrote:

as of now i think the simple space heater sounds better because i dont really have a lamp to use as a incandescent light. thanks for the help!!!
Anytime

Martialis

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:33 am

Without the dangers of thpse, leaving them in a non-air conditioned room should work.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Yestordsd287

Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Martialis wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:33 am
Without the dangers of thpse, leaving them in a non-air conditioned room should work.
My room is not conditioned. The only way to get breeze is by opening the window.

Martialis

Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Yep, I think I remember you talking about this. You need to be very careful with the other methods. Although I'm not sure where you'll find a space heater in a tropical country.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Yestordsd287

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:35 pm

Martialis wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:54 pm
Yep, I think I remember you talking about this. You need to be very careful with the other methods. Although I'm not sure where you'll find a space heater in a tropical country.
Yeah... actually me neither