Mold trouble... Please Help!!!

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Post Reply
Yestordsd287

Mold trouble... Please Help!!!

Post: # 21607Post Yestordsd287
Tue May 23, 2017 7:08 pm

So today i chose to check up on my Odontomachus Sp. and Brachymyrmex Sp. i found both of them already have a batch of eggs, which is good and i think that my Odontomachus queen even has larvae. Well my Odontomachus queen seems to be doing just fine in her test tube attached to the outworld, and so does my Brachymyrmex, but my Brachymyrmex keeps her brood very close to the cotton, which i growing mold. i am fearing that the mold might get the eggs so i cleaned a test tube for her and i have it ready for action, i know how to keep the test tubes. She is 5mm in total length which makes me think if she will be able to squish between the gap of the test tubes? Is she able to squish through them? Also how can i make her move? Do i cover 1 test tube with very dark cloth and keep the other one under a lamp? How can i put light over the test tube without harming her?

Yestordsd287

Re: Mold trouble... Please Help!!!

Post: # 21649Post Yestordsd287
Wed May 24, 2017 11:59 am

UPDATE!!!!
i joined the test tubes and she just grabbed her batch of eggs and moved it on to the mold in the cotton. it makes me worry because ive heard that the mold can damage the eggs. HELP ME WHAT DO I DO??? should i put a light on top of her? should i just leave her there? please help i dont want her to die nor her brood to die. help me!!!

Theantguy13

Re: Mold trouble... Please Help!!!

Post: # 21652Post Theantguy13
Wed May 24, 2017 1:02 pm

My suggestion is to leave her to her own devices, in other words: she will move the brood as she sees fit. I had a similar experience and she and her nanitics were fine, I eventually attached a test tube to hers and she didn't move in right away. It took her another day inside it to move. But DO NOT LEAVE THEM ATTACHED FOR MORE THAN 6 HOURS. either make it so that they can breath with both test tubes attached, or unattach them every 6 hours to let fresh air in, then reattach them.

Theantguy13

Re: Mold trouble... Please Help!!!

Post: # 21653Post Theantguy13
Wed May 24, 2017 1:04 pm

actually if your tube is small make it 4-5 hours, or vise-versa for larger tubes, but if you're not sure do it for less time just to be safe.

Yestordsd287

Re: Mold trouble... Please Help!!!

Post: # 21656Post Yestordsd287
Wed May 24, 2017 1:22 pm

Theantguy13 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 1:04 pm
actually if your tube is small make it 4-5 hours, or vise-versa for larger tubes, but if you're not sure do it for less time just to be safe.
the test tubes are attached in a way that there is a very tiny gap between the test tubes which provides her with air. she already explored the dark new test tube but is still clung to the mold and her eggs too... i put her under light for 15 min but with breakes after 5 mins. i am worried for her brood so i use the outside light and the main lamp of my room to provide the light but not to a high level. I found out that leaving a small gap between the test tubes as a tutorial i saw stated.

User avatar
Batspiderfish
Posts: 3345
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:47 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Mold trouble... Please Help!!!

Post: # 21657Post Batspiderfish
Wed May 24, 2017 1:26 pm

Most molds are not going to be any concern to an ant colony. You are doing the best thing possible by giving your queens the option to move if they have to. I wouldn't make it too difficult for your semi-claustral Odontomachus queen to forage, however. Stop feeding your Brachymyrmex queen, if that is the source of the mold.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Yestordsd287

Re: Mold trouble... Please Help!!!

Post: # 21659Post Yestordsd287
Wed May 24, 2017 1:29 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 1:26 pm
Most molds are not going to be any concern to an ant colony. You are doing the best thing possible by giving your queens the option to move if they have to. I wouldn't make it too difficult for your semi-claustral Odontomachus queen to forage, however. Stop feeding your Brachymyrmex queen, if that is the source of the mold.
my Odontomachus queen has a small outworld which i made from a plastic chinese food container. but should i leave my Brachymyrmex in her test tube with mold or give her a couple of days to move from her test tube? and to move her do i need to use a lamp?

Yestordsd287

Re: Mold trouble... Please Help!!!

Post: # 21660Post Yestordsd287
Wed May 24, 2017 1:30 pm

Yestordsd287 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 1:29 pm
Batspiderfish wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 1:26 pm
Most molds are not going to be any concern to an ant colony. You are doing the best thing possible by giving your queens the option to move if they have to. I wouldn't make it too difficult for your semi-claustral Odontomachus queen to forage, however. Stop feeding your Brachymyrmex queen, if that is the source of the mold.
my Odontomachus queen has a small outworld which i made from a plastic chinese food container. but should i leave my Brachymyrmex in her test tube with mold or give her a couple of days to move from her test tube? and to move her do i need to use a lamp?
my brachymyrmex has not been fed... im waiting for her first worker to eclose to start feeding her

Yestordsd287

Re: Mold trouble... Please Help!!!

Post: # 21662Post Yestordsd287
Wed May 24, 2017 3:33 pm

when do i know that the queen needs to move because of the mold? will she show any sings or something like that?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests