Most recommended formicariums to get

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

psx2k1

Most recommended formicariums to get

Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:24 pm

Hello,

I'm new to this entire world of ant keeping. Actually, I have had several ant farms growing up, but only the commercial ones offered by Uncle Milton and have only kept the red harvest ants that are offered commercially. Never had an entire colony.

Thankfully, all of that will change. I have already purchased a complete colony so that I can start on the wonderful journey of ant keeping. Looking forward to learning about these magnificent little insects.

Therefore, I would like to ask what you would recommend for a formicarium. The species i just bought is a Nylanderia colony, which I understand is a small type of ant. Which formicarium may I get for that one? I have been looking at the ones from AntsCanada as well as tarheel. I was going to get the small omninest from AntsCanada, but I have also been considering the casita from tarheel? Others that I like from Tarheel are pinnacle and traditions, but they are a bit pricier.

Let me know what I should consider.

Thank you

WillWithAnts

Re: Most recommended formicariums to get

Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:31 pm

I think you should also consider home made formicaria, as they are frugal but if you do them right they can be a quality piece. AntsCanada has a video for that!

I made my own for the larger genus of Camponotus: http://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=259