How to Expand Nest Setup

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

ryanwo3

How to Expand Nest Setup

Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:41 pm

ImageI have a Tetramorium species and the colony is starting to outgrow their nest set up. In the picture, I have attached there is a test tube portal on the right, a mini hybrid nest in the middle, and a custom outworld in a critter container on the left side. I was thinking of just adding another hybrid nest to the setup, but I was unsure. I wanted to get your guy's thoughts. I also wanted to see what you guys thought of making a custom nest setup. This is my first successful ant colony. I don't want to screw it up.

antperson24

Re: How to Expand Nest Setup

Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:41 am

ryanwo3 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:41 pm
ImageI have a Tetramorium species and the colony is starting to outgrow their nest set up. In the picture, I have attached there is a test tube portal on the right, a mini hybrid nest in the middle, and a custom outworld in a critter container on the left side. I was thinking of just adding another hybrid nest to the setup, but I was unsure. I wanted to get your guy's thoughts. I also wanted to see what you guys thought of making a custom nest setup. This is my first successful ant colony. I don't want to screw it up.
Could you send a link to the photos? When you say 'custom' do you mean homemade? Tetramorium is a very tolerant genus; almost any nest will be suitable for them.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

ryanwo3

Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:47 pm

Yes, when I mean custom I mean homemade like AntsCanada does on his channel. I tried uploading the photo, but it won’t let me

ryanwo3

Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:23 pm

Here is a link to the photo I took of my ant setup: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11tTqaLEk2gKSimpIvEATwy_eb700XrvM/view?usp=drivesdk

antperson24

Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:21 am

I would suggest making your own nest, it's quite a bit of fun, and much cheaper. I wouldn't worry about them not doing well in it, like I said; they are good at adapting. I make a lot of plaster nests, if you want, I can give you some advice on how to build on how to build one.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

ryanwo3

Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:32 am

I have no idea how to make my own nest. How would I go about doing that. I want to do something like AntsCanada, but not too overly ambitious.