Bioactive arid ant vivarium tips?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Lwolf082

Bioactive arid ant vivarium tips?

Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:15 pm

Hello everyone.
I'm planning on moving my Camponotis Fragilis from an AC nest and outworld into a large vivarium. The queen was locally caught and the local conditions are very arid. I'm looking for any tips to make the arid vivarium as bio-active as possible. I'm hoping to incorporate slow growing succulents for plants and at least some arid springtils for cleaning crew. I'm trying to mimic the natural environment as much as possible so they can live their best lives. Any insight, tips or tricks would be helpful.
Thank you all in advance.

antperson24

Re: Bioactive arid ant vivarium tips?

Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:06 am

Lwolf082 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:15 pm
Hello everyone.
I'm planning on moving my Camponotis Fragilis from an AC nest and outworld into a large vivarium. The queen was locally caught and the local conditions are very arid. I'm looking for any tips to make the arid vivarium as bio-active as possible. I'm hoping to incorporate slow growing succulents for plants and at least some arid springtils for cleaning crew. I'm trying to mimic the natural environment as much as possible so they can live their best lives. Any insight, tips or tricks would be helpful.
Thank you all in advance.
Well, if you are going to add spring tails, you will need to put the spring tails in a setup were they an breed, because at least for my terrarium, I have to keep on adding more spring tails. I think that once I have enough in there though, they will be able to breed in the aquarium.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

Lwolf082

Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:34 pm

antperson24 wrote:
Well, if you are going to add spring tails, you will need to put the spring tails in a setup were they an breed, because at least for my terrarium, I have to keep on adding more spring tails. I think that once I have enough in there though, they will be able to breed in the aquarium.
Having a separate spring tail breeder seems interesting. Perhaps a mostly buried container, like a jar with the top protruding a quarter of an inch or so, within the vivarium that is kept moist so the cleaners can come and go as they please would work? I think that the moisture shouldn't spread and negatively affect the rest of the tank and the ants would avoid nesting there as they don't like so much moisture.

antperson24

Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:03 am

Lwolf082 wrote:
antperson24 wrote:
Having a separate spring tail breeder seems interesting. Perhaps a mostly buried container, like a jar with the top protruding a quarter of an inch or so, within the vivarium that is kept moist so the cleaners can come and go as they please would work? I think that the moisture shouldn't spread and negatively affect the rest of the tank and the ants would avoid nesting there as they don't like so much moisture.
No, I didn't mean in the vivarium, I just meant one out side of it.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

Antloverhuman

Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:52 pm

Lwolf082 wrote:
antperson24 wrote:
Your idea is still pretty good. Just a container with small holes so the ants cannot get in but the springtales can, and the container could be kept in humid conditions. Keep that container in the vivarium. As far as i have observed, springtales come out pf their homes to forage at night so they naturally could find and eat stuff in the vivarium.
Also there are probably some species of isopods that can live in arid regions so you can put them there
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony