Keeping ants in the outworld

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Fulkol

Re: Keeping ants in the outworld

Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:30 pm

AntLove4Ever wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:19 pm
Alright so I have a small colony of Pharoah ants in a wooden formicarium attached to an outworld, the problem is that they arnt to smart and keep getting stuck in the Vaseline 😂. At first it seemed like it worked, but then one adventurous ant stepped into the Vaseline, and made it halfway across before getting stuck: I guess it left a scent trail because now dozens are following its path and getting stuck in the same place. What other methods can I use to keep them in that they can't get stuck in?
I suggest using rubbing alcohol and baby powder mix,working wonders for me and it cannot be sticky

As a side note I'd leave a drop of vaseline on a paper towel somewhere in the outworld, they might use it as the garbage site.

xTNxANTMANx

Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:59 am

O yes lol, I have an Aphaenogaster colony and although they love honey, they also enjoy sticking their garbage to it. Its weird to watch :)
Keeping:
Camponotus subbarbatus
Formica pallidefulva x2
Formica subsericea x4
Lasius sp
Tetramorium immigrans x2
Dorymyrmex bureni

Founding:
Formica pallidefulva
Unknown sp x2

larynx

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:29 pm

Vaseline works better if you add olive oil to the surface of it after application.
Forum Moderator
AntsCanada GAN Farmer