Atta Texana Home

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Antmanboy

Atta Texana Home

Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:31 pm

Hello friends! I saw many beautiful Atta Texana queens during the summer and I am planning to try to catch some next year. Would a tubs and tubes setup work for their colony? How would I move their fungus garden to the setup? Should I just link up their founding cup to the setup? If the tubes and tubes doesnt work what should I keep them in? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Atta Texana Home

Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:34 pm

Antmanboy wrote:
Hello friends! I saw many beautiful Atta Texana queens during the summer and I am planning to try to catch some next year. Would a tubs and tubes setup work for their colony? How would I move their fungus garden to the setup? Should I just link up their founding cup to the setup? If the tubes and tubes doesnt work what should I keep them in? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Nope, test tubes won't work for these. I recommend reading all of this. Very helpful

https://www.formiculture.com/topic/15532-cheetos-ultimate-guide-to-leafcutter-ants%E2%84%A2/
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

antsofTH

Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:15 am

Antmanboy wrote:
Sorry if I’m late, But just to put it, Test Tubes are too small for them. They should stay in a container setup or something similar. Look at LCA’s (Lights Camera Ants) channel, he owns Atta Texana too. Over on his channel you should find how he keeps his Atta Colonies.
I’m just a normal ant keeper living in a tropical area. :D

Owning:
Messor Structor
Camponotus spp.
Colobopsis Leonardi

Founding:
Two Solenopsis Geminata Queens

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:25 pm

antsofTH wrote:
Antmanboy wrote:
Sorry if I’m late, But just to put it, Test Tubes are too small for them. They should stay in a container setup or something similar. Look at LCA’s (Lights Camera Ants) channel, he owns Atta Texana too. Over on his channel you should find how he keeps his Atta Colonies.
I am not aware what LCA does, but Cheeto(The person who wrote the guide) has kept all genera of leaf cutter ants sucessfully including Atta, Trachymyrmex, and Acromyrmex. A deli cup with plaster base is recommended. Also, make sure to catch lots of queens as these queens have a very small success rate, something around 3/100
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Antmanboy

Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:24 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:25 pm
antsofTH wrote:
Antmanboy wrote:
I am not aware what LCA does, but Cheeto(The person who wrote the guide) has kept all genera of leaf cutter ants sucessfully including Atta, Trachymyrmex, and Acromyrmex. A deli cup with plaster base is recommended. Also, make sure to catch lots of queens as these queens have a very small success rate, something around 3/100
Thank you! I'm sorry it's been a while :lol:. I haven't really logged on recently. If I do decide to start a colony I'll keep all of this in mind!