Pheidole Bicarinata/Big Headed Ants

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

modernlafayette

Pheidole Bicarinata/Big Headed Ants

Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:35 pm

Hello everybody, my son is considering big headed ants and we are wondering what tarheel formicaria to get. I want to get him 2 to be able to connect with foraging areas on top and i'm looking for suggestions. The GAN farmer near us has a colony with a queen and about 20 workers. Some of the tarheel products i'm wondering about are:

Mini Hearth (type III) x 2?
Mini Hearth (Bifurcated) x 2?
Mini Hearth XXL set up in 2 or 3 chambers (plus a mini hearth as the 2nd habitat?)
Fortress Formicarium (eventually add a second habitat like one of the mini hearths with this?)

antperson24

Re: Pheidole Bicarinata/Big Headed Ants

Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:54 pm

modernlafayette wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:35 pm
Hello everybody, my son is considering big headed ants and we are wondering what tarheel formicaria to get. I want to get him 2 to be able to connect with foraging areas on top and i'm looking for suggestions. The GAN farmer near us has a colony with a queen and about 20 workers. Some of the tarheel products i'm wondering about are:

Mini Hearth (type III) x 2?
Mini Hearth (Bifurcated) x 2?
Mini Hearth XXL set up in 2 or 3 chambers (plus a mini hearth as the 2nd habitat?)
Fortress Formicarium (eventually add a second habitat like one of the mini hearths with this?)
I would say Mini Hearth (type III) x 2 I have one of those they are really nice.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN