Will this setup work?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

dustbunnycatcher

Will this setup work?

Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:39 pm

I am new to keeping ants and I'm planning my first formicarium. I have access to a laser and 3d printer so I decided to design my own. I think this design will work but I wanted to get input before I put it together.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yUTwgxXGxpPnptvU8

This is for tetramorium ants.

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Will this setup work?

Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:49 pm

dustbunnycatcher wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:39 pm
I am new to keeping ants and I'm planning my first formicarium. I have access to a laser and 3d printer so I decided to design my own. I think this design will work but I wanted to get input before I put it together.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yUTwgxXGxpPnptvU8

This is for tetramorium ants.
Whoa! What deigning program did you use? Auto desk?

I really love the canopy foraging area, but it seems your water chamber is a bit big for 3d Printed material. I am not sure if it will rise, or if it will not. May want to put the water chambers on the side, as that way you know they will get water. What is your measurements in? Mm? Inches? Cm? What do you plan as an outworld “glass”? I have had experience with acrylic, which worked out pretty well. What is the nest made out of?(3d, printed, hydrostone, ytong, plaster, etc). If it’s 3d printed make sure to use PLA. Pretty sure it’s biodegradable.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

dustbunnycatcher

Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:20 am

I am using Rhino for my modeling. I only bought it a couple of months ago and I'm still trying to learn how to use it.

I will be using acrylic because a laser can't cut glass, unfortunately.

I have a resin 3d printer that I was thinking of making the nest area out of but I am having second thoughts because I don't want the resin to poison them.

I was thinking of printing out the nesting box then making a silicon mold from it. Then use the mold for hydrocal. But that is way more work than just 3d printing it.

The water is my biggest issue. I don't want to flood the nest and I can't find much information on best practices for adding water.

The measurements are in inches.

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:32 pm

dustbunnycatcher wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:20 am
I am using Rhino for my modeling. I only bought it a couple of months ago and I'm still trying to learn how to use it.

I will be using acrylic because a laser can't cut glass, unfortunately.

I have a resin 3d printer that I was thinking of making the nest area out of but I am having second thoughts because I don't want the resin to poison them.

I was thinking of printing out the nesting box then making a silicon mold from it. Then use the mold for hydrocal. But that is way more work than just 3d printing it.

The water is my biggest issue. I don't want to flood the nest and I can't find much information on best practices for adding water.

The measurements are in inches.
Maybe make a plaster/hydrostone base? Water absorbs well in both these materials, and ants like them. Grout would also work btw.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…