TRYING TO MOVE ANTS, HELP!

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

antkid365

TRYING TO MOVE ANTS, HELP!

Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:32 pm

I have received a new formacarium, there is a test tube adapter but my current test tube doesnt fit in it, any ideas how to secure it without ants escaping? Also, any tips on how to encourage my young lasius niger colony to move? I tried light for a week, but they barely leave the tube. Will they like the nest better if I add sand?

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: TRYING TO MOVE ANTS, HELP!

Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:11 pm

antkid365 wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:32 pm
I have received a new formacarium, there is a test tube adapter but my current test tube doesnt fit in it, any ideas how to secure it without ants escaping? Also, any tips on how to encourage my young lasius niger colony to move? I tried light for a week, but they barely leave the tube. Will they like the nest better if I add sand?
What formicarium? An you provide pictures?

Try heating their current tube with a heat pad on low. If you do this, supervise to make sure they can move fast enough. Typically, it won’t hurt brood, it just makes them uncomfortable. If that doesn’t work, heat the new formicarium so they will move brood there.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…