Camponotus ants

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Doclesko1

Camponotus ants

Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:35 pm

Hello there!

Sorry if this is repetitive however I couldn’t find the information I was looking for… I have a young camponotus colony (from Vermont, where I live) with nine workers and they are in an AC solenopsis setup. I feed them mealworms and crickets along with grape jelly. So…

For their first outworld, what should I put in there? Activated carbon, what kind of soil, plants, etc? Put some wet wood scraps in there too?

Also, what should I be feeding them? How frequently and how much? Is what I have been feeding them good? They seem to eat it for the most part.

Thank you!

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Camponotus ants

Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:27 pm

Doclesko1 wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:35 pm
Hello there!

Sorry if this is repetitive however I couldn’t find the information I was looking for… I have a young camponotus colony (from Vermont, where I live) with nine workers and they are in an AC solenopsis setup. I feed them mealworms and crickets along with grape jelly. So…

For their first outworld, what should I put in there? Activated carbon, what kind of soil, plants, etc? Put some wet wood scraps in there too?

Also, what should I be feeding them? How frequently and how much? Is what I have been feeding them good? They seem to eat it for the most part.

Thank you!
Anything that doesn’t have pesticides, I would make it basic so you can easily see them and it’s easy for them to find food.

Food should be fed every few days, and try to offer carbs at all times.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Doclesko1

Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:27 pm

Right on! As for wood, how should I provide it? How long should I soak it for?

SolenopsisKeeper

Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:41 pm

Doclesko1 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:27 pm
Right on! As for wood, how should I provide it? How long should I soak it for?
Well, in the wild wood usually is drenched in rain. 24 hours should be good enough, but they will not move in until it’s dry enough. Also, be make sure to spray the wood when they move in every few days, or even once a week. In the wild, I am pretty sure Camponotus get moisture from the wood they live in, as it is sometimes live wood.

For wood, you could carve a piece of plywood or wood locally available.(Without pesticides)

Doclesko1

Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:39 pm

If a queen ant constanly goes at the cotton ball in test tube setup after catching her, does she still have to mate? She is another camponotus from Vermont. Thank you!

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:33 pm

Doclesko1 wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:39 pm
If a queen ant constanly goes at the cotton ball in test tube setup after catching her, does she still have to mate? She is another camponotus from Vermont. Thank you!
What I do is put mine in the dark for a week, and if in 3 weeks they haven’t shed wings, laid eggs, i heat them. One week later, still at Cotten, I release and feed them.

Doclesko1

Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:02 pm

I lost a queen (I think) and her worker is still alive with a clutch of eggs. Should I give up on them or introduce them to my bigger colony? They’re camponotus ants both native to Vermont.

antperson24

Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:27 pm

Doclesko1 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:02 pm
I lost a queen (I think) and her worker is still alive with a clutch of eggs. Should I give up on them or introduce them to my bigger colony? They’re camponotus ants both native to Vermont.
I don't think it would work. It would probably just end in a lot of death.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

Doclesko1

Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:50 pm

I have two queens doing relatively well, they’re in test tubes with a lot of black (mold?) on the cotton dividing them from their water. They have have other, clean tube options to move into, regular and sugar water. Is the black stuff dangerous? What should I do to encourage a move, etc??

Also, organic versus regular cotton balls? Is one better? I think most of them are organic however I can switch the cleaner ones depending on what I learn here. Please reply! I want my two queens to make it!!! Both camponotus native to Vermont.

One has a little red splotch on her back and only one worker, so she’s extra vulnerable and also really cool! My students at work helped me catch her last year.

antperson24

Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:48 pm

Doclesko1 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:50 pm
I have two queens doing relatively well, they’re in test tubes with a lot of black (mold?) on the cotton dividing them from their water. They have have other, clean tube options to move into, regular and sugar water. Is the black stuff dangerous? What should I do to encourage a move, etc??

Also, organic versus regular cotton balls? Is one better? I think most of them are organic however I can switch the cleaner ones depending on what I learn here. Please reply! I want my two queens to make it!!! Both camponotus native to Vermont.

One has a little red splotch on her back and only one worker, so she’s extra vulnerable and also really cool! My students at work helped me catch her last year.
You might want to heat the clean, regular water test tube to encourage them to move. I just use regular cotton balls, and they seem to work fine. If you would like me or someone else to try to identify her, you could send an image.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN