messor barbarus digging media

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

whiskymule

messor barbarus digging media

Mon May 23, 2022 9:05 am

Hello,

I have a new colony of european harvester ants (messor barbarus) and am going to put them into the AntsCanada Ant Tower and was wondering what type of diggin media you would recommend to put in? I saw in one of your videos you used coco fiber for fire ants, but what about messor barbarus who don't like it as moist and humid?

Thanks

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: messor barbarus digging media

Mon May 23, 2022 11:39 am

whiskymule wrote:
Hello,

I have a new colony of european harvester ants (messor barbarus) and am going to put them into the AntsCanada Ant Tower and was wondering what type of diggin media you would recommend to put in? I saw in one of your videos you used coco fiber for fire ants, but what about messor barbarus who don't like it as moist and humid?

Thanks
For non-loving humidity ants, clay soil works as it is very supportive(Credit to Antsluxembourg)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsLuxembourg

Re: messor barbarus digging media

Tue May 24, 2022 8:12 am

whiskymule wrote:
Hello,

Thanks
Clay soil. Something like this.

You can water it every once in a while but you don't have to do much. They mainly need space to store their seeds and maybe one water testtube.

@SolenopsisKeeper: Thx for the credit. ;)
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.