Crematogaster cerasi set-up question for beginner

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Minaberrospi

Crematogaster cerasi set-up question for beginner

Thu May 19, 2022 1:15 pm

Hi. In late August/21 I caught a crematogaster cerasi queen and placed her in a 15x150mm test tube. Finally, she has 5-10 workers, some eggs and larvae. The water supply in the test tube is bone dry since she’s been in there for so long. I’ve been using a dropper to saturate the cotton ball in the tube, very carefully. Do the measurements of the test tube prevent me from being compatible with AntsCanada formicariums? Does anyone have a recommendation on what to buy from the store? I have asked people, but i received answers that I had trouble understanding what they meant. As a complete novice I felt uncomfortable asking for further elaboration. I do know that if the space is too large, it could result in the death of the colony. I would greatly appreciate any information. Thank you!!

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Crematogaster cerasi set-up question for beginner

Thu May 19, 2022 2:18 pm

Minaberrospi wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 1:15 pm
Hi. In late August/21 I caught a crematogaster cerasi queen and placed her in a 15x150mm test tube. Finally, she has 5-10 workers, some eggs and larvae. The water supply in the test tube is bone dry since she’s been in there for so long. I’ve been using a dropper to saturate the cotton ball in the tube, very carefully. Do the measurements of the test tube prevent me from being compatible with AntsCanada formicariums? Does anyone have a recommendation on what to buy from the store? I have asked people, but i received answers that I had trouble understanding what they meant. As a complete novice I felt uncomfortable asking for further elaboration. I do know that if the space is too large, it could result in the death of the colony. I would greatly appreciate any information. Thank you!!
Feel no need to question, I sometimes type in a hurry…

Also, glass tubes in direct connection with AC adapters usually break, unless they are loose(Due to tube lip). Also, tubs and tubes works great for small colonies. I will link a video to it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8edRYbn65Oo

Also, you could use an AC test tube portal to hook up multiple AC test tubes and use as an outworld
When you accidentally reply to yourself…