Diy Ant formicarium

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Dangiriuxs

Diy Ant formicarium

Tue May 17, 2022 12:46 pm

Hello, I’ve been wondering. Can you build a formicarium (like in the youtube video) with cement instead of plaster? I’ve heard that ants can dig through the plaster, and that plaster eventually rots, because of water. https://youtu.be/C8Ij8Bhr8FI

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Diy Ant formicarium

Tue May 17, 2022 4:32 pm

Dangiriuxs wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 12:46 pm
Hello, I’ve been wondering. Can you build a formicarium (like in the youtube video) with cement instead of plaster? I’ve heard that ants can dig through the plaster, and that plaster eventually rots, because of water. https://youtu.be/C8Ij8Bhr8FI
I think the YouTuber D colony has some videos where he did something like concrete, but it may be heavy…
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Antloverhuman

Re: Diy Ant formicarium

Tue May 17, 2022 9:35 pm

I have made a nest with cement for my camponotus and it works great. The only thing is that it doesn't hold water as good so you will have to water the nest every day or twice a day for your ants to like it
And yeah the neat is quite heavy but unless you are making it for a 1000 worker population ant colony, the nest would be light enough for you to lift. And as it is heavy it doesn't get as much disturbance so thats a pro
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony