Help with Messor Barbarus moving from shipping tube

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Skyshadow3246

Help with Messor Barbarus moving from shipping tube

Wed May 11, 2022 5:31 pm

I received a Messor Barbarus queen from a private seller this morning. The tube she and her first worker were shipped in is only about 7cm (3in) long. With cotton plugs for water and a stopper, she has marginally less than 1cm (1/2in) of space available to move about. I know shipping can be quite stressful, plus I would have to assume she was not previously raised in such a small tube meaning she was also moved before transit. Should I attempt to gently scoot her into a larger tube or leave her be for awhile? If so, how long should I wait before attempting to move into a more appropriate living situation?

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Help with Messor Barbarus moving from shipping tube

Thu May 12, 2022 7:38 am

Skyshadow3246 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 5:31 pm
I received a Messor Barbarus queen from a private seller this morning. The tube she and her first worker were shipped in is only about 7cm (3in) long. With cotton plugs for water and a stopper, she has marginally less than 1cm (1/2in) of space available to move about. I know shipping can be quite stressful, plus I would have to assume she was not previously raised in such a small tube meaning she was also moved before transit. Should I attempt to gently scoot her into a larger tube or leave her be for awhile? If so, how long should I wait before attempting to move into a more appropriate living situation?
Attach another tube, but keep both dark. They will appreciate new room I presume, though I don’t keep these.

Antsluxembourg is the expert on these
When you accidentally reply to yourself…