Does Sea Salt Kill Ants?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

SeanSz

Does Sea Salt Kill Ants?

Tue May 10, 2022 4:35 pm

Hey everyone… I am currently working on a new formicarium for my fire ant colony, and am thinking about doing a coastal habitat. I have quite a few seashells and live rock from my last beach trip, and would like to put these in my ant enclosure. However, does sea salt harm or kill ants? If so, is there anyway I can safely remove the salt from the shells and rocks?

SolenopsisKeeper

Re: Does Sea Salt Kill Ants?

Tue May 10, 2022 5:50 pm

SeanSz wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 4:35 pm
Hey everyone… I am currently working on a new formicarium for my fire ant colony, and am thinking about doing a coastal habitat. I have quite a few seashells and live rock from my last beach trip, and would like to put these in my ant enclosure. However, does sea salt harm or kill ants? If so, is there anyway I can safely remove the salt from the shells and rocks?
It may dry them out. What you can do is soak your shells in bleach, to kill any bacteria. I think this would be okay after dry, but more research would be needed
When you accidentally reply to yourself…