Open Air Solenopsis Help

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

SeanSz

Open Air Solenopsis Help

Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:46 pm

Hi, I previously posted about setting up an open air Solenopsis Invicta formicarium (much like the Floating Islands of Avista), but I do have one concern. I live in a tropical region, so it’s always warm. Will the fire ants outgrow the pot and small dirt-filled vase underneath it? Is keeping a fire ant colony in a glass wall-surrounded potted plant formicarium a good idea? Any help would be much appreciated!

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Open Air Solenopsis Help

Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:24 am

As long as you keep an option to expand your setup available and make sure the plants don't grow big enough for the ants to escape. Rewatch the videos of AC on his fire ants and learn from his struggles. ;)
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

SeanSz

Re: Open Air Solenopsis Help

Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:48 pm

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:24 am
As long as you keep an option to expand your setup available and make sure the plants don't grow big enough for the ants to escape. Rewatch the videos of AC on his fire ants and learn from his struggles. ;)
Thank you!