DOUBTS: HYDRATING THE NEST

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

ShadowAnts86
Location: Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

DOUBTS: HYDRATING THE NEST

Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:39 pm

Hi, AC FORUM!I have some questions on the nest hydration... :D

(I´m housing a Camponotus spp. colony)
(I´m planning to use an Omni Nest Large or a Hybrid Nest Small with their Outworld)

1. In the Omni Nest we have two hydration chambers with two blue sponges... (this question goes for the Hybrid nest too) It is necessary for the hydration of the nest to let the sponge/hydration medium completely wet or that depends in the ants that you´re housing? or the ammount of water that you provide is the same for another ant spp. but waht really matters is how often you provide them the water?

2. How can i know if my ants are having the right ammount of moisture in their nest? How can i know if i am providing the right ammount of water to their hydration chambers?

3. Which is the best product taking into account the moisture and all the things that i have asked before: the Omni Nest Large or the common small Hybrid Nest for the Camponotus spp?

I await your response,
ShadowAnts. :mrgreen:

ShadowAnts86

Re: DOUBTS: HYDRATING THE NEST

Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:28 am

It is not necesary to answer all of my questions but answer as much questions as you can

ShadowAnts86

Re: DOUBTS: HIDRATING THE NEST

Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:12 am

ShadowAnts86 wrote:Hi, AC FORUM!I have some questions on the nest hydration... :D

(I´m housing a Camponotus spp. colony)
(I´m planning to use an Omni Nest Large or a Hybrid Nest Small with their Outworld)

1. In the Omni Nest we have two hydration chambers with two blue sponges... (this question goes for the Hybrid nest too) It is necessary for the hydration of the nest to let the sponge/hydration medium completely wet or that depends in the ants that you´re housing? or the ammount of water that you provide is the same for another ant spp. but waht really matters is how often you provide them the water?

2. How can i know if my ants are having the right ammount of moisture in their nest? How can i know if i am providing the right ammount of water to their hydration chambers?

3. Which is the best product taking into account the moisture and all the things that i have asked before: the Omni Nest Large or the common small Hybrid Nest for the Camponotus spp?

I await your response,
ShadowAnts. :mrgreen:

Martialis

Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:10 am

1. The omni nest hydration works very well. Replace the water every time the sponge looks dry.

2. You can know if there's the right amount of water if your ants are healthy, there is no condensation, and the outworld isn't slick or wet.

3. The hybrid small is probably a better choice, as it is specifically designed to the Camponotus genus.
Keeper of

Selliing:

Cale3459

Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:03 pm

The hybrid nests are genus specific. If you look at the different nests you will notice they have more or less mesh depending on what ants the are designed for. This is based off how much humidity the ants typically require to flourish. I use the hybrid nests personally as I feel they more accurately replicate nest conditions in the wild. Nothing against the Omni nests as I think they are very cool looking as well, just for me personally I prefer the fact that they come with a lid to simulate underground conditions, the hydration is genus specific, and the chambers are replicated from wild nest designs. To answer your question specifically on how to know how much water to put in just keep the hydration tray filled with water and it will soak into the media(for me it's cotton) under the nest. The mesh handles how much humidity actually comes into the nest and then the ants can decide if they want to be closer or farther from the mesh.

ShadowAnts86

Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:18 pm

Thanks your tour answers!

Hey, Cale, when do you know that you have to change the hydration medium of your Hybrid Nest and when do you know that is time for changing him? and (something that i misunderstood) in the Hybrid Nest you have to put an specific ammount of water or you just put water and the Nest constrols the humidity? In that case (if the Nest controls the humidity) How much water you reccomend me to put? (2 centimetres of water, 3,4?)

And Martialis.. It is necesary to let the sponges/ cotton of the Omni Nest completely wet or you have to put an specific ammount of water?

Cale3459

Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:56 pm

Just lift the nest and when the medium looks like crap from the nest seeping into it just change it. There is no measurement for the water just keep water in the hydration tray and the design of the nest will take care of it. I just have a habit of topping mine off when I go by the shelf with them on it.

Serafine

Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:07 am

An Omni nest is perfect for Camponotus as they are a more dry-loving species. You should only water one side of the nest and remove the sponge from the other side (the additional benefit of this is that you have a replacement sponge if needed).

But remember that colonies with less than 20-50 workers should NOT be kept in a formicarium (especially not one as large as an omninest) but in a test tube instead (although you can just add a bit of sand to the integrated outworld of the omninest and place the tube there).
And yes, for Camponotus that may take an entire year, they grow really slow.